1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I missed half the Super Bowl thanks to DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by coeng, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coeng

coeng New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Man am I pissed. I've had my R15 since July and it was running fine w/o any problems. Then suddenly I missed the last two Oakland Raiders games on NFL Sunday Ticket. When I went to view those games and all it gave me was some stupid PPV channel.

Last night I came home around 8:30pm and wanted to start watching the Super Bowl from the beginning. All I got on the playback was the DirecTV Basic channel. WTF!!

I tried numerous times to access the recording but I kept getting various PPV channels. I got so frustrated that I rebooted the receiver. When it came back up, the recording was completely lost. I had to start watching the game with 3 min left in the 3rd quarter.

Could it be the way that I programmed it? Instead of performing a search like I usually do, at 11am that morning I navigated my way through the guide until I found the game in the 6:30pm time slot on FOX. I selected it, increased the length of recording by 1.5 hours and confirmed it was in the to-do list. This is the only thing that I could think may be the problem.

I called DTV today and spoke to tech support. They recommended some troubleshooting steps I should try on both my R15s to see if I could reproduce the problem. They told me to randomly record sporting events that are not of interest to me. They said they have never heard of a problem like this.

Capacity is not an issue since I don't use my recorders all that often. Any thoughts?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's exactly how I set up to record the game as well. I can't say why it was all messed up in the playback, but could possibly answer why the recording was lost when you rebooted.

You most likely had the active tuner set to FOX. What this means is that the last channel you were watching was FOX. When you are recording something on the active tuner, it does not permamently write the recording to the hard drive until you change the channel and clear out the Live Buffer or until it is at least 90 minutes past the end of the recording so that it is past the beginning of the Live Buffer. If you happen to reboot the receiver while a recording is still in the Live Buffer, it is never written to the hard drive and so you end up losing it.

What do you mean by you kept getting various PPV channels when you did the playback? Everytime you hit playback it brought up a different channel, it kept changing channels by iteself during the playback, etc. There have also been some issues when padding the recording like you did. I opted not to do that and instead set it to record the Post Game, House, and the News to make sure I go the entire game.

- Merg

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    How do you have the recording set?

Do you have it set as an AutoRecord based on a Search?
    Or for the specific item from the Guide?

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've seen shows disappear from the TO DO list and never get recorded. I've seen series links not record some or all episodes. But so far I've NEVER seen a show that was set up to record by just pressing the "R" button while it is highlighted in the guide do what yours did.....even if it is extended to be sure to catch the ending.

When football often screwed up the recording of "Shark" on Sunday night, I always set it up to add an additional 90 minutes to be sure I got the whole show and it worked perfectly week after week.

My suspicion is that your R15 had corrupted data in one of it's buffers BEFORE the game was recorded, and so then it did those weird things. One of my R15's was seemingly working fine but then I rebooted it because I was moving some furniture around. When it came back, all my favorites lists were gone, and my TO DO list was empty!! But since then, it has worked fine.

5. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I recorded the Super Bowl the same way -- Selecting it from the guide and then padding time at the end.

I have had problems with padded sporting events in the past, when I try to play them during the recording (see here, here and here).

Although I haven't had the same issue as you, I think there is something quirky about how the R15 playsback a padded recording while it is still recording. I find that the best workaround is to wait until the recording is completed, and then start to watch it.

6. coeng

coeng New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    When I first turn the receiver and TV on I always press mute first and then channel up or down to change the active channel without looking at the TV or hearing it (so as to not see/hear the real-time score and ruin it for myself). I believe I was on Ch 2 or 4 when I navigated to the playlist and selected the Super Bowl recording. The first attempt at playback I got the DirecTV Basics channel (i.e. learning how to use your remote). When I pressed fast-forward it just kept playing in a loop. I pressed exit which got me back to live TV but it was some PPV channel (not Ch 2 or 4). Again I went back in and tried to play the recording. Now it was playing back the PPV screen I was just on. I then tried to STOP the recording through the playlist menu options. Recording stopped but subsequent playback still gave me the PPV screen. When I selected reboot it warned me that an active recording would be lost. I figured I had no choice at that point and rebooted. I thought it was a playback issue, not a recording issue. I figured a reboot would eliminate the erratic behavior. All it did was toss my corrupted recording.

7. coeng

coeng New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Last night I tried to reproduce the problem. At 5pm I navigated the guide and found the Devils game at 7:30. I set the recording and extended it by 90 min.
    At about 9pm I turned the TV on, navigated to the playlist and selected the game.
    It began playback at the current real time and not the start of the game as was intended. The R15 did not screw the recording up like it did for the Super Bowl recording so my results were inconclusive. I was able to rewind to the start of the game with no problem. To be continued...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.