1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Wire Paladin, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 19
    Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I need some advice.

Last week I lost the signals on one of my tuners and called DirecTV for service. A service guy came out on Saturday to fix it. After checking to see if the problem was in my house he checked the cables from my house to the satellite dish. The problem appears to be that when my original dish was replaced and relocated (70 ft) with the AT9 by DirecTV instead of running lines directly to my house they ran them to the previous dish and connected the old lines with the new (outside of the house). He replaced the outside connector to the line and said I should have the lines run directly to the house without connectors. This makes sense but he indicated that I would have to pay for this since DirecTV wouldn't cover it. This I have a problem with since I have the DirecTV plan and expect DirecTV to pay for any problems with my existing system.

This morning I checked and saw that our bedroom system (on a different receiver) has lost the signal (it worked Saturday after serviceman left). I expect another outside connector is the issue. I'm going to call DirecTV but wanted some advice on the outside conector issue.

I have the following questions:

1. Is running the outside lines using connectors (length less that 100 ft) an acceptable way of installation? Or is it shoddy work?

2. Should the connectors be left out in the open or should they be covered?

3. Should I pay to run the lines to my house or should DirecTV?

Advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 19
    JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    Ideally, D* should run direct lines from the disk to the grounding block, which is usually attached to the house where the cable comes inside.

I'm not sure why the 2nd installer mounted a dish 70 ft from the first. Was there a line of sight issue?

Try this. Call D* and tell them you are cancelling service since they can not get adequate signal strength to the receiver. That should get them out to finish the install properly.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 19
    Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    It was a line of site issue that required the dish to be relocated.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 19
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    When you say connectors, do you mean couplers?

You want to limit the amount of breaks you have in a cable run but, if installed correctly, I have a hard time believing they are to blame for your lack of signal. I'm more to blame the extra 70ft of cable length they added.

I have several sets of couplers both at the base of the LNB arm and under the eves where the wire from the Dish meets the wire that goes into my house and have NO issues with loss of signal.

What are the signal strengths you're seeing?

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 19
    Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    Yes I mean couplers.
    The other tuners are getting 90-100 on 101 transponders and 70-90 on 103b transponders. Other satellite signals are in those ranges also. The tuner that went out had no signal from any transponder. The service guy said the coupler had burnt out and had to be replaced.
    The couplers are about 10 ft from house. They are not protected from the weather. I have had directv for about 10 years. During that time I have had couplers at the dish replaced a couple of times.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 19
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree, but remember to be kind but firm. You will get much further by being polite.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 19
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Are people getting called out on the "cancel" card? I hesitate to give advice stating, "First thing you do is threaten to cancel" - unless the situation is such that that's really what you want to do. You call about a cabling issue and tell them right out "I'm going to cancel because my signals strengths are messed up", how do you back down from that when they come back with, "OK, I can process that cancellation for you"

I would call and politely explain that when your dish was moved due to line of site issues, the tech just ran cable to the point where your previous dish location was and used couplers to "extend" the cable run. You had gotten advice that an uninterrupted run is going to be much less trouble - with fewer possible points of failure - and now you are experiencing some of those failures. Then ask if it's possible to have the cabling redone to eliminate those line breaks.

Explain that you have had to have a tech out to fix one recently and are now experiencing another one and would really prefer to have the situation fixed properly.

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 19
    Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm not going to use the nuclear option (cancel service). Thats a last resort and I'm not near that.

Thanks JlucPicard for the advice.

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 19
    John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Are you sure it is a cable problem? If you move the receiver to another location, does the problem stay with the receiver? Could it be a bad tuner on the receiver?

Just asking..:)

10. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    No its the cable. I switch cables to the receivers and the problem followed the cable. The switch occurred at the first coupler as cable enters the house to see if the problem was inside the house. Its not.

I got enough information now and am calling DirecTv. Thanks for help.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Let us know how it turns out...

12. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    If you have the service plan then ALL cost to repair the issue should be covered.

13. steveken

steveken Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    By connector I am assuming you mean the barrel female-to-female to connect two pieces of coax together. If this is right, you can replace the barrel connector yourself. I was told by an installer that you want to look for ones with a blue middle. Supposedly that is the one that lets the full signal through. (Seems to me that it shouldn't matter which one you get as its just putting two pieces of metal together, but who knows.)

Anyway, the MAIN point of this is that after you replace the connector, take some silicone and enclose the connection with the silicone and maybe even put some kind of wrapping over that after it has dried. This will keep out ANY and ALL weather you will experience. It might eventually degrade, but I would think it wouldn't be for at least 10 years. Make sure you get the entire area of the connection covered with the silicone.....from covering a little of the black coax on one side all the way over to covering a little of the other black coax.

This will fix the problems and provide years of worry free service. I have done this on a connection that I had to bury after a dog chewed through it.

14. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    You can call them and speak politely that they are the experts in dish installation. You pay for the programming, they install the equipment. If they can't get the install right, you really have no other option, unless you want to pay for something you don't get.

15. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    Best of luck, please let us know how it turns out.

16. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Don't replace the splice yourself. Have a installer or tech do it. Unless you know how to put on connectors.
    You probably have water in the splice and it's corroded. It needs to be change out.
    Don't blame the 2nd installer for not replacing the cable for free. We all need to get paid.:)

17. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I spoke with DirecTv this morning and they are coming out tomorrow. I explained the problem and they are sending out a lead technician tomorow. I'll let you know how it goes.
    An excellent suggestion!

18. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    Good to hear. If you've isolated it down to a single cable feed, I'd certainly have the lead tech replace all the compression connectors, couplers and if worse comes to worse, the cable itself. Rarely does a cable go bad on it's own but you never know. My neighbor claims he had a piece of coax short out on it's own. I, on the other hand, think a furry creature was to blame. :)

Best of luck, make sure to report back.

19. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    I used two standard F connector rubber boots they make for OTA antenna connections on both sides of the barrel connection which completely covers the connection point in rubber and never had a problem, but then we only get 7 inches of rain a year here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.