1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with ESPN 3d through Directv!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Cobalt, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Directv just installed a new hr34 today and upon tuning to ESPN 3d we got no image only popping in and out of acquiring signal on the tv side of things. I have the signal passing through the hdmi of my sony strdh820 3d receiver, so it should pass through the 3d signal.... N3d works fine but my tv can't seem to see the espn3d signal.... I've hooked up hdmi from the hr34 to my samsung 550 59" plasma and it seems to work. I really don't want to feed the signal through optical cable, but I guess I will if I have to. Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Cobalt - I think you just answered your own question - The issure seems to be your Sony AVR.

3. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    But why would the N3d work when Espn3d wouldn't?

4. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Some AVR receivers only pass through 720 for 3D and not 1080 for 3D

5. HiDefRev

HiDefRev Cool Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Waycross, GA
    Indeed, ESPN 3D is broadcast in 1080i, and your Sony may well be the culprit here. I would grab the owner's manual of your Sony and make sure of your 3D settings. If it turns out that you have to run HDMI directly to your 3DTV and optical to your receiver, go ahead and do it. You certainly don't want to miss the BCS Championship Game tonight in 3D on ESPN 3D !! . :D

6. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    My 3d blu ray sends a 1080p 3d signal and it works fine just fine.... I've been reading that possibly the CEC control on my tv might be causing the problems. I'll try cutting it off when I get home. I'm trying to watch the Championship game in 3d tonight and I'm running out of time.

7. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I figured it out right before the game. Under set up the installer had selected that my tv was capable of 1080p only..... After filling in all of the other options 480i - 1080p 3d now works like a charm. :)