1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I never knew about the "quick" guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by directv newb, Aug 24, 2012.

1. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    When I first got Directv I immediately set up my Harmony One remote and off I went, well today I accidentally pressed the up arrow key and up popped " the 9 channel quick guide", I never knew this thing existed, I put all my news channels in there, cnsbc/fox news/twc/ect..., so no matter what I am watching I can easily get to one of my news channels, the quick guide is cool.

2. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The "funny" thing is that this feature existed on the very early Hughes brand boxes fifteen years ago and was called Turbo Tune. I still have one in service in my office.

I agree it's kind of a neat feature.

What once was old is new again.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm betting a lot of customers don't know about it (the official name is QuickTune), even though it's been there since December of 2008 :)

4. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    It definitely comes in handy for me with the obscure channels that I can never remember the channel numbers for (cloo, IONe, etc)

5. LamontJoe

LamontJoe Cool Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion, just programmed my sports channels!

6. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    I love quick tune, especially for the Sunday Ticket

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    My Sony HDD-200 had a similar guide, but it had 25 slots in it.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think 25 is a bit much for a quick tune. That would be a custom guide in my opinion.

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Whatever you call it, it was better than the one Directv uses now.

10. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    My wife was just complaining that our new receivers only had nine slots for quick tune, our old Hughes had three separate turbo tune lists. I use my quick tune for almost all my channel jumping, that way I don't have to remember all the channel numbers.

11. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    That is exactly what I was thinking, it would almost defeat the purpose

12. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Defeat the purpose? It was very convenient to be able to see 25 channels at one time. How many can you see with a custom guide, five or six?

13. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    You seem very defensive, and I don't even know if we are talking about the same thing after your last post

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm not defensive at all. I am merely stating my opinion that having 25 channels available on the screen at one time is preferable to having 5 or 6.

15. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    QuickTune is 9 slots. And do u even know what we are talking about? This thread isn't about the guide....

:)

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    25 available channels would do me no good if I didn't know what was on them at the time.

I rarely use the Quick Tune as it is except for special events, since I very rarely tune to a specific channel unless I know what's playing.

17. rebkell

rebkell Godfather

Sep 9, 2006
    Same here, I just don't have any use for it.

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    +1.

Nine is a nice number, not too small, not too big. Symmetrical, too.

19. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm well aware it's not about the guide, it's about the quick tune, which only has 9 channels in it. I said I liked the one in my old Sony that had 25.

20. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    And others feel that's too many. I agree. I would use a custom guide for that many, so I could see what was on those 25 (or more) favorite channels yet still tune to one of them quickly.