1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Own It After Lease Period Is Over???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Duffycoug, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    According to my installer today, after the lease is up on the HR20 it's then owned by yours truly....this can't be correct, is it?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No.

This isn't the same as a car lease, or a rent-to-own.

There is no defined "lease" period for any of the products that fall under the lease rules.

DirecTV will own these boxes, until they either don't ask for them to be returned... or say otherwise.

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, Duffycoug! :welcome_s

Cheers,
    Tom

4. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Thanks....btw, what version of software is the most up to date for the HR 20-100?? Just curious so I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks

5. lguvenoz

lguvenoz Icon

Aug 22, 2006
    The "say otherwise" is always the out. I had a really old receiver die on me, and D* agreed to replace it for free with a new one but only if I returned the old one (I don't have the protection plan). When the rep went to process the return, he got a message that D* would not pay for it to be returned and it was mine to keep because it was too old for them to refurb.

My guess is that once the units are 3-4 years old they will all fall into the "say otherwise" category as they have little value to make them worth paying for shipping, refurbishing and stocking.

I wouldn't count on it, but that's my take.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    0x12a

7. analogkid12

analogkid12 New Member

May 28, 2007
    I recently upgraded to the HR20 DTV DVR from a leased HR10-250 Tivo. When the installer left, he did not take the HR10 with him. This is a leased unit. The access card is still in the unit , but I do not think it is active.

My question? What do I need to do to use this DVR? I have 2 other SD boxes that run Tivo a well. Do I need to get a new access card? Where would I get it? (ie DTV, ebay etc) Will I continue to pay a lease fee if I do? Can I just sell the unit? I was under the impression dtv would take the unit back as it is a lease. Are they not taking back the hr10 units or did the installer just forget to take it with him?

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Installers do not take the units back with them. Directv will send you a return box that has prepaid return shipping via fedex. You can either have fedex pick it up or you can drop it off to them.

I know when the HR20 first came out people were sending them back to Directv. But lately Directv has been saying to trash them. I would call Directv before you do anything to see what you options are. They will probably let you keep using it if you would like or they will probably to tell you to trash it. I don't think selling it is an option.

9. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    BTW :welcome_s to DBStalk

10. analogkid12

analogkid12 New Member

May 28, 2007
    Well, the upgrade was about 2 months ago, have not received a box or anything from dtv. Where can I get an access card? Will I still pay the lease fees? Just a big paper weight right now, would like HD on another tv...

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You shouldn't need a new card since it was already on your account. Just take put it where you want it. Call D and have them turn it back on.

12. gblues

gblues AllStar

Dec 8, 2005
    The $99 HR10-250 => HR20 "swap" does not currently require relinquishment of the HR10-250 (nor would it convert an owned HR10 to a leased one). So you'd just leave it active and hook it up to the TV of your choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.