1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I recently got DTV why no MSG in Hartford????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jpatbrown, Oct 28, 2009.

1. jpatbrown

jpatbrown New Member

Oct 28, 2009
    went to watch Rangers/Islanders and says blacked out, what gives??? We got MSg on Comcast? I thought I was in their area, I get SNY and YES and the Boston ones I got, anybody know???? Thanks

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Plug in your zip code at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004 and it will tell you what RSN's you're supposed to receive. I put in a zip for Hartford and it doesn't list MSG as one that you'd receive.

3. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
  4. DirectNJ

DirectNJ Cool Member

Jul 16, 2007
    When I lived in CT, you had to add the Sports Pack to get all the NY & Boston RSN's... (But the Whalers were still playing in Hartford @ the time)....

5. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    My folks live in Mystic, CT and they get MSG. It's hard to believe that Hartford isn't in the same area.

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    It is NOT available from Direct in the Hartford area. My Zip in Ct also shows as not available from Direct, but I do get it from Dish.

7. wismile

wismile Legend

Jul 19, 2006
    Wow...I get MSGHD in East Hampton (less than half an hour from Hartford). The rules governing sports channels are ridiculous! :mad:

8. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    I have a friend that lives very close to hartford and he also got msg next to the other games listed above when he was on cable too. something is wrong here

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Something is wrong here. Rules for carriage are different between satellite and cable, and the rules for DMA's are ridiculous as well. DMA's create boundaries, if you live on the edge of a boundary, you could get something your neighbor cant and vice-versa if the boundary is between you and your neighbor, thats just the way it is. If you are a huge sports fan, you need to know the blackout rules and boundaries in your area to know whats available to you by provider.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yep, rules are different between cable and satellite. Thank your congress-critter for that.

If after you put your zip code in, if you find MSG is not available to you on DirecTV then I would contact MSG offices and ask why it's not. They are the ones that give DirecTV and Dish the list of zip codes that can get their channel. So they are the ones that can fix it, assuming it's a mistake (either MSG didn't give DirecTV the proper zip code list or DirecTV has put in the zip code incorrectly).

11. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    I have a friend who moved from one part of Central NJ to a part of Jersey closer to Philly. He figured he'd just move his DirecTV service as part of the movers package and wouldn't see an issue with his local sports coverage. He's a HUGE Yankees fan and had checked with Comcast and noticed that they received YES so he figured he'd get it at his new location with D*...but that's not the case.

To say he's disappointed is putting it mildly....as well as the fact that the locals he gets, are ALL Philly....not NYC. Yet Comcast provides BOTH Philly AND NYC locals.

Rules and regulations......:nono:

12. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I'm just north of Hartford and I get it. MSGhd (634) and MSG+ (635) so it isn't a location issue. I've got the premium package so I can't tell you what package it is in...

13. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    The line has to be drawn somewhere.:(

14. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    Blame it on the DOLANS:nono2: