1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think a Power Outage Fried my HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by breevesdc, Jan 18, 2009.

1. breevesdc

breevesdc Legend

Aug 13, 2007
    My neighborhood lost power today. The power went off. Then 10 seconds later, it flickered. Then 10 seconds later, it flickered again. I went down to the basement and turned off the main breaker to prevent the flickering power from damaging my electronics. I think I was too late.

My HR20 is now acting strangely. None of the HD connections are working. The HDMI does not transmit a picture or sound. The component video does not work either. Nor does the optical digital sound. The only thing that works is the S-Video connection.

Here's the weird thing... anything previously recorded via the OTA connection plays with no sound. Anything recorded via the dish plays just fine. If I tune to my OTA Fox (5-1), I get a picture with no sound. If I tune to the D* version (5), I get picture and sound.

Question #1: I'm assuming I'll have to replace my HR20. Will I lose all of my content? I have lot's of content recorded to the attached eSATA drive. I seem to recall that the eSATA is married to the box. So if I get a new box, all of that content is lost. True?

Question #2: What can I do to protect my equipment going forward? I had the HR20 connected to a surge protector. But that did not seem to protect it from the power flucuations I experienced earlier today.

Thanks.

Brian

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Unplug the HR and your TV for a few minutes as well as the HDMI cable. Give them time to lose their static build up and reconnect. I have seen this happen before. They will reestablish a solid handshake. Time for a good UPS to protect power outages and surges.

3. breevesdc

breevesdc Legend

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks Dave. I'll try that. But would that explain the component video also not working (and the digital optical audio). I tested them too. And it appears that all HD connections are not working. Thanks.

Brian

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Don't know exactly why some connections would work and not others, but I do know that many times after quick power interuptions, the HR's usually need to be power cycled to restart properly.

5. breevesdc

breevesdc Legend

Aug 13, 2007
    OK. I'll try that after the NFC championship game is over. Thanks.

Brian

6. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    A few months ago, I had a similar power problem. It initially corrupted the drive that I had to delete everything, but then the hard drive would get redected. I got stuck with a downgrade of hr20 to hr21(no free am21) with protection plan replacement. Hard drives can't handle power instabilities. Now my other hr20-700 does a UPS, I don't want to lose that one till hr23s are common place.

7. breevesdc

breevesdc Legend

Aug 13, 2007
    Dave,

Besides being a Gators fan... you rock. ;-)

I unplugged everything, unplugged the HDMI cables, waited a few minutes, restarted everything, reconnected all HDMI cables. Everything is back to normal. Thanks again.

Brian

PS- I'll be shopping for a UPS for my entertainment room tomorrow.

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Thsi Gator says, your welcome:)