1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my boyfriend is Stupid.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mcap, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Mcap

Mcap New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Need help and can't find any good answers.

Just purchased a Slimline 5 LNB with 4 outputs and a HR21-100 receiver.
    We ran ONE line out of the Slimline 5 LNB into the back of the HR21-100 and couldn't get any type of signal.
    The dish is aligned according to our area.
    It looks as though we might need a power inverter or a multiswitch or both.
    Directions that came are worthless and we are getting conflicting directions on the internet.
    Should we be running four lines to multiswitch and power inverter?
    Is it bad to hope he falls off the roof???

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You really need to ask this in the DIrecTv forum, but to answer your question, you need two coax cables from any of the 4 outputs on the LNB to your receivers two LNB inputs. Set the satellite setup to Slimline 5/Multiswitch (its build into the LNB). If you dont get anything then your dish is misaligned, or you have bad connections, or the electronics are not working.

Note, for HD you will also need a baseband converter on each input.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Also, NO power inserter for an LNB that has four connectors on it. That's only for what is known as an SWiM LNB (which will have only one connector on it).

Simply setting dish to specified numbers isn't aligning it. That's just a vague starting point.

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Reluctantly opting out of rebuttal to thread title while chuckling into my hand.;)

5. Mcap

Mcap New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Wow Thanks for the Quick response! He did try two coax cables from the LNB into the receiver. Didn't work.

6. Mcap

Mcap New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Do we need a baseband converter to get at least a signal?

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, assuming the LNB works, and the DVR works, and the cables are good...then the dish has to be pointed wrong. Use the signal meter on the dish, set it to satellite 101, and try to find it by slowly sweeping the dish from east to west. If nothing, reduce the elevation 5 degrees, sweep east to west and increase the elevation 1 degree at a time, and repeat until you get a signal. Sweep slowly. You will get satellite 101 without the BBC.

8. Mcap

Mcap New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    There is no signal meter on the dish. We purchased a separate one but it didn't register any signal. I think maybe I need a smarter boyfriend.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No, just two cell phones. Have your boyfriend turn the dish, while you watch the signal meter on the tv. Set it to satellite 101, and the page that shows ONE transponder (not the page that shows all of them). Have him turn it slowly, then when you see the signal jump up on the meter, have him stop and go from there.

10. Mcap

Mcap New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Ok we will try in the morning. Thank you Devinir!!!

11. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
  12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just a note;

BBC = B-Band Converter ;)

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    What a supportive boyfriend or girlfriend the OP is. :lol:

Once you have successfully obtained a good signal on the 101 there is a specific process you do called dithering to get the 99 and the 103 to fall into place. One of us can explain once you get to that point, just so you know and you don't go back and forth with him on the roof trying to get them all high.

110 and 119 are adjusted with the skew, the "rotating part" of the dish, you can probably get those pretty good without dithering.

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Wouldn't Directv install it for free?

15. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    yeah tell him a real man would have had that working in about a half hour or so. haha

the link above by onan38 has a video in it that shows how to line up a KAKU dish. You likely have a second generation dish. post back while you guys are trying and some people will help you .

16. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I have nothing to add to this thread other than the fact that this is the best thread title I have ever seen in my years here at DBSTalk.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why don't you just have D* align the dish properly? Why put yourselves thru all this? I feel sorry for your boyfriend...:lol:

Rich

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would dump such person who is insulting me in a public such dumb way - we are not born as installers after all and it is professional job for many of others.

19. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
    Yes, he is stupid to put up with this.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    He ?!

Are you cr&^% ? After what she posted here ?