1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I thought spontaneous reboots were a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Dr_J, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    After the 6.2e disaster of two years ago, I thought spontaneous reboots were a thing of the past. I was watching my old Phillips Series2 TiVo today when it spontaneously rebooted. It's running 6.4a. Anyone else having spontaneous reboots?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Rarely. Probably nothing to worry about, unless it happens more often. The usual suspects include overheating, poor ac power, and dying hard drive.

3. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I think that's what I was experiencing with my HR10-250 with almost daily reboots. I could have replaced the hard drive, but given the fact that it only receives 2 or 3 HD channels via DIRECTV, I couldn't justify the cost.

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You might want to add that it could be a failing power supply unit or intermittent power interruption.

5. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    Thanks for the input. I rarely watch this old TiVo anymore, and this is the first time I've had a spontaneous reboot in awhile. I use it mainly to back up recordings of important shows on the main HR20. It's connected to a UPS unit that's about 2 1/2 years old--I don't know if that's getting too old or if it were related to that. I had a backup recording freeze up the TiVo box and didn't discover it until the next morning a few months back, requiring disconnection from the UPS to reboot. Again, an isolated occurrence so far. The TiVo is about 4 1/2 years old.

6. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Original hard drive still in it?

7. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    Yup.

8. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Then I'd have to say it's probably not power issues, but since you're getting close to the 5 yr. point with a drive that's in constant use, it comes down to replacing that drive. The PATA large capacity drives are getting pretty scarce, but if you still use it as a backup, I'd leave it up to you as whether it's worth it.

9. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    It's possible. The last time I had hard drive failure on my original TiVo, the recordings literally froze. I'd have to skip to the end of the recording and then back up to beyond the freeze point. That one was only 2 years old. Been luckier with this one. We'll see what happens. Thanks. :)

10. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    I also have the protection plan, so if it becomes a serious issue, I'll just swap it out for a new box.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Whether it is the hard drive failing or a power supply unit not supplying enough power for the hard drive to fully spin at it's intended rate of speed you need to either replace the offending device or replace the entire unit.

It is possible to replace the power supply unit and save your recordings if that is the offending piece.