1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I tipped my installer.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by whitepelican, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1 of 26
    whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    I only point this out, because I've never done so before. In fact, I've always assumed that people like cable/satellite installers, carpet installers, and furniture delivery guys are just doing their jobs and getting paid for it, so I never really considered tipping them. But I was so impressed with the job the DirecTV installer did at my new house the other day, that I gave the guy a tip when he finished. I wish I could remember the name of the company he worked for, but I believe he said they've only been doing the installs in Green Bay for a month or so after the previous company went out of business.

As for the install: I was scheduled for an 8-12 time slot, and he called just before 8AM to ask if it would be OK to push my time back until right around noon. He had looked at the work order and got nervous when he saw it was to install a new dish and 4 DVRs, so he was worried about how long it might take. I told him that was fine and I appreciated the call.

Since my house is a 2-story with a finished basement and was pre-wired for cable with only one RG6 going to each room, I thought it was going to be ugly and I was going to need to purchase an SWM8 (which the installer had never heard of). Instead, he was able to get two cables run to all but one location (which was an interior wall on the second story). He also located the dish in a spot that required a bit more cable run (through a very hot garage attic) just to hide the dish from sight from the street a little more. And he ended up using two 6x8 multiswitches to minimize the number of cables run from the attic to the basement and to give me some room for future expansion. As a bonus, this is also going to make it much easier for me to add OTA and possibly still an SWM8 in the future.

He was at my house for about 5 1/2 hours total. Overall, I don't think I could have asked for a better installation.

2. Aug 5, 2008 #2 of 26
    Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    I tipped my last installer, too. Clearly, there's a difference between the people who are "just doing their job" and those that go the extra step and do a good job. The latter deserves a tip, in my opinion.

3. Aug 5, 2008 #3 of 26
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Awesome, glad to hear of a good experience.

My last installers were awesome as well, only the 3rd ones I have had personally at my house in ~12yrs, but they were much better than the first 2!

4. Aug 5, 2008 #4 of 26
    thebeev

thebeev New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    awesome to here that! I always tip installers that go above and beyond the job.

5. Aug 5, 2008 #5 of 26
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    When I moved and had Dish come out, the guy did a good job and I tried to tip him, but he said he could not take it.

6. Aug 5, 2008 #6 of 26
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I hope you helped him up. Aren't you supposed to do that to cows, anyway?

:D

I crack myself up.

7. Aug 5, 2008 #7 of 26
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I always tip anyone that does something for me. I guess it is because I did installs/deliveries back in the day and I know how it is to do their job.

Most installers and delivery drivers are under paid for what they do and a lot of them do extra for the customer that is not really a part of the job or what they are suppose to do.

Now depending on how good of a job they do determines how much of a tip they get.

8. Aug 5, 2008 #8 of 26
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I probably shouldn't admit this, but that is the first thing I thought of when I saw the title.. :D

9. dlh

dlh AllStar

Nov 29, 2008
    That's interesting. When I switched from cable, the installer said he could not accept any money from me. When I upgraded to hi def, I never thought to tip the installers. They did a great job and now I wish I would have tipped. I think I'm going to have my dish moved and plan on tipping if the job is a good one. :rolleyes:
    Thinking: Should I tip before the job starts? Would that get that little special attention?

Any suggestions on how much to tip for a job? I'll be paying for this one.

Thanks

10. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I too tipped my last installer.

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I think tipping after is better, more of an 'you earned this" thing

If the job is done neatly, the tech is nice and helpful I think $10 per 2 hours onsite spent is a good guideline.

12. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    We almost always tip someone after if they provided good service.

13. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I tried to tip my last installer also but he said they were not allowed to take tips so I offered him a cold can of Pepsi instead which he gladly took.

14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If it's a DirecTV installer and he's competent, I tip him. If he's clueless (as some have been), I don't tip him.

When I hired someone to install my Slimline, he set the price for the install. His price was a bit high because he has a reputation as being very good (which he is). Since I was already paying him a premium for his services, I didn't feel that a tip was necessary.

15. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Did he also ask you which of his feet he should shoot.:lol::lol:

16. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I agree. We're tippers. If someone does a good job for us we tip.

I tipped the installer who came out to move our dish. Good job gets a good tip.

Mike

17. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I tip when I feel that somebody has done a good job, is professional, courteous, respectful of me and does their best to communicate with me about when they will be here and what they are doing while here.

Short-time, easy job: $10 (e.g. drop-off a DVR/Zinwell and set it up)
    Medium time and complexity: $20-30 (e.g. getting on my cedar roof to adjust the dish)
    Longer duration, complex: $40-50 (to make sure I had HD working before the winter snow cover came, one guy went on the cedar roof with me while it was sleeting - including activation and setup, he was here 2-3 hours but stayed focused and never complained)

The guy with a bad attitude who misses my appointment completely or comes several hours past the time window estimate without a call or explanation: $0 (fortunately, this only happened once)

In general, the D* installers for my area are pretty good and have gotten better over the past 2-3 years.

18. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    What about tipping someone at a coffee shop? I know its a little off subject but I don't know why really they have a tip jar.

19. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Same basic principle... if they go above and beyond the normal expectations (which these days is seen by some as not sticking their thumb in your frothed milk) then you tip. It take a lot for me to throw something in a tip jar at a counter service place.

20. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    wondering why thread from 8-2008 resurrected..