1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want 2 HR24 replacements?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by lorick, Sep 26, 2010.

1. lorick

lorick AllStar

Nov 16, 2005
    I have 2 HR20-700 DVR's at this time. They are running VERY slow as mentioned in other threads. If I request to go to Whole-Home DVR service will I get HR24's for replacements?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Maybe.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Exceedingly unlikely.

If you were adding two DIRECTV Plus HD DVRs, you may (or may not) get HR24s, but since the HR20-700s are fully adaptable to WHDS, I sincerely doubt that they would be replaced.

DIRECTV would probably rather fit HR20s with DECA adapters than to fit HR24s with AM21s in the grand scheme.

4. dhickman

dhickman AllStar

Apr 23, 2010
    Probably depends on the market.

I am in the central oklahoma market.

All of this is per the install manager and it was in documentation that he is having his techs read and take a quiz on)

If there is MRV involved and the whole house is being upgraded/installed to HD then the techs are supposed to be upgrading to a 24 series. If MRV is not involved then they are not supposed to give out the 24s.

They are quite understaffed right now and it is cheaper for them to put the 24s in and simplify the system to a single splitter.

Also the white decas are next to impossible to have out here and they have switched to the new black ones. This would require a splitter at each receiver to install an older non deca receiver. This would also cause the deca network to have issues if there are more than two splitters on the system. The installer had to come back out and consolidate the three splitters that the original installer did and replace with an 8 way swim spitter.

dhh

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The only sure way to get an HR24 is to order one from a dealer, like http://www.solidsignal.com

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    False. Working HR20, 21, 22 & 23s are NOT supposed to be swapped out with 24s.

False. The receiver decas (the white ones) are not being phase out or discontinued. An additional splitter is not required at each receiver to install a receiver deca except on the HR20-100. Also false, having 2 or more splitters on the system does not cause network issues in most cases.

Whoever gave you your information really doesn't know what they are talking about. I feel real sorry for his techs if he's a supervisor. :nono:

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Upgrading to MRV *requires* SWM, so any non-SWM-compatible receiver will be replaced with a like SWM-compatible receiver. But the MRV upgrade does NOT include upgrading non-MRV-compatible receivers to MRV-compatible receivers, nor does it mean that existing MRV-compatible receivers will be upgraded.

What will happen is that external DECA modules will be installed at each of your HR20s and you'll be converted to a SWM system for signal distribution to those receivers.

If you want to upgrade to HR24s, you'll have to lease them from a retailer.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    No.

10. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    Possible, but not probable. It all depends on the tech that comes out to visit you. If you're lucky, like one of my friends was, the tech had a couple of HR24's he needed to get off of his inventory (and out of his truck), so he upgraded both of his receivers.

Again, I repeat however, it's possible but not probable.

11. techovercharge

techovercharge Cool Member

Jan 30, 2010
    The only way for u to get your two hr20s swapped out for 24s is to tell the installer exactly what u want and see if u can work out a deal. might cost u some :)

12. CGYOKC

CGYOKC Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I'm in central OK, and added an HD-DVR with MRV in June and got an HR21, and my existing HR20 was left alone.