1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I want 2nd TV use from a single HD DVR - can I?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by janland, Aug 17, 2013.

1. janland

janland New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    southern...
    Hi-

I recently changed from an old 18" single LNB. I understood that we were swapping out the dish only.. but when the tech came over, I ended up getting a new HD DVR and dish.

I would like occassional TV in an adjoining (close) room. I don't want or need the 2nd set up all the time. I would be willing to disable the main room TV and use the 2nd one only when I want to if that is how this ends up. No other TV watchers around here.

My idea: connect to the 2nd room by running a new length of proper high performance co-axal from the #2 SAT portal on the new DVR to the 2nd tv room. Will that work or must I get into splitters,etc...??.. I am thinking to just run the cable out the window (5" from current DVR) on back deck about 16' into the 2nd TV room window and bam!

thots, ideas, etc wd be much appreciated...! Jan.

2. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You will have to go at this quite a bit different than you were thinking. The signal from the dish can ONLY be processed by a DirecTV receiver. If you dont want a second receiver you can run the video/audio from the receiver to a second TV. What type of TVs do you have? If both HD you could get an HDMI splitter or run one on HDMI and the other component. If the second TV is SD you can downconvert the signal and even modulate it for RF.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, a 25 ft HDMI cable from www.monoprice.com would do it. they have powered HDMI splitters as well

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why were you swapping out your dish? Did you ask DirecTV to upgrade you to HD? Or did you just want to get the SD channels that were on the 119 satellite? I'm puzzled.

5. sda3

sda3 Mentor

Nov 29, 2005
    What he said ^ That is by far the best solution to what you are trying to do. Get a 25 foot HDMI and a powered HDMI splitter and have at it.

I have one of these and a long HDMI feeding a tv in the kitchen from my office below it.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    So, what did janland end up doing?

7. janland

janland New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    southern...
    Hi you wonderful guys-

apparently I orig set up my profile without getting checking the notification section- I did not know I received any replies until I went in right now!

Thanks for all the help- I really appreciate it. To answer Thomas's question about why the switch to another dish- yes, I was not able to get a certain channel that was available in my package. When the installle came there was some glitch with the older DVR so he got on da phone with Directv and because he had the extra DVR in his truck- I was abe to get the whole enchilada that day.

I cannot wait to get that HDMI Cable and powered HDMI splitter.!!! Thanks again- I am proud of myself to be able to even think this through. I'm not as dumb as I look!

Jan (going to 50th H.S. reunion 2014)