1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wonder what happened?

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Bob Haller, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I watched some tv, got a shower and found my DP with the pink screen of death. My entire SW64 system was down too. It appears my switch failed.

Signal strength in the low 30s on all slots.

I decided to wait to check the power inserter. I dont want to disturb the 2 receivers I have on a seperate twin the inserter is buried in a jumble of wires thats hard to reach.

I tried powering off the entire system but it didnt help. Most of it is on a UPS.

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Did the power plug fall out of the Inserter? I have had that happen to me a few time (Damn cats!) :D

3. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    No its still plugged in. I can see it clearly. The low 30s signal strength appears to indicate a switch failure. Wierd day, van broke, satellite system crashed, some lights I rebuilt for my pupetter friend turned out to have a manufacturing defect.

I decided to do nothing else today. Been one of those days...

4. TopCat99

TopCat99 Godfather/Supporter

Nov 3, 2002
    Try coupling a feed from 119 to a receiver and see if it shows up decent strength that way (a la dish aiming). If that's fine, blame the switch. And pray you have the extended warranty ;)

5. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    yep I got the warranty. One dish might be miss aimed but not both my 500 and 61.5/ My 500 is on my deck. I eyeballed it and its fine. The switch died. 30% signal strength?

I guess I will have E replec it but I am going to upgrade to dish pro. I never liked that SW64.

6. TopCat99

TopCat99 Godfather/Supporter

Nov 3, 2002
    THat's why I edited my post. I thought about it being mis-aligned, not thinking that you can't have a lock on both sats that low without being pretty much dead on to begin with. And certainly not with two separate dishes :)

I had a bum SW21 when I first bought my system. Kept losing 110 (went down in the 30s, just like yours) on only the one receiver. Amazing how much those little hunks of metal do for us ;)

7. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Did you unplug the wall power to the SW-64 and replug? I had a customer who had a constant "Searching for Satellite" and had him unplug the SW-64 to fix it. To my surprise, it worked.

8. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Yep tried that too. Reebooted entire system, didnt help. That has occured in the past.

E sends out brand new SW64s. I dont think they are refurbished...

9. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I put the inserter directly at the dish and got my system back up. Must be a bad cable between the inserter and switch.

ME? I am going to dish pro for sure and will keep a legacy dish up as well for the older receivers.

I have 2 500s so thats easy. I want to elminate single point failures.