1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I would like to watch and record DirecTV (HD) on my PC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BusterAvis, Jul 30, 2014.

1. BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    Hello, I have a new HP desktop PC, full 1080p resolution on my desktop and monitor, external TV tuner (USB) from HP, and the HR-44 Genie (HD DVR) from DirecTV.
    How do I get all of these to work to be able to watch and record live DirecTV on my desktop PC?
    I don't just want to watch recorded stuff from my DVR (via Genie Go or something like that), but I also want to watch live programming as well on my desktop PC.
    I will be getting a separate Genie mini receiver to hook up to my desktop computer (which I haven't received yet).
    But I want to know if I have all the equipment I need already, or if I'll need any additional equipment/accessories.

I have the HP USB TV Tuner, but I am thinking about possibly getting a separate Win-TV (or Hauppauge) capture card (will I need this or something similar to be able to record?).
    I guess I need to set it up to get live (high-def) programming on my desktop computer before I even begin to worry about recording anything.
    Right now, I'll have to wait to get the Genie mini first before I can attempt to do anything.

Any tips, or suggestions, or instructions I may need once I receive the Genie mini?

Thanks for any help or advice.

2. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    I would check out Blackmagic video capture products http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products#capture-and-playback-for-videographers & http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/h264prorecorder

Hauppauge as you mentioned, is another option the Hauppauge 1512 HD PVR 2 (full comparison list here) should work fine. This device has no delay pass through so you can watch live while you PC is recording the content in real time. I believe another member here at the forums has one of these and could share more personal experience.

I would definitely recommend hooking up the Genie mini with Component cables rather then HDMI to whichever capture device you choose. To do this you will need to buy this adapter. LINK

You might also read through this recent thread for more suggestions: Best Way to Archive DirecTV DVR List?

Keep in mind, you should always confirm copyright ownership before capture or distribution of the content.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How about connecting a Genie client (aka Mini) directly to your computer monitor, and using the Genie only for recordings. Much cleaner.

4. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    Yeah, I have dual monitors hooked up to my PC. The second monitor is actually a 1080p 24" Sony HDTV. I have an HDMI switch connected to it. I have a Genie mini, PS3 and my PC connected to the HDMI switch.

So, I can be doing my PC thing on my main monitor, while watching DirecTV on the second. I can also have both screens used for my PC when I'm not in the TV watching mood.

5. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    you could use something like this:

http://www.belkin.com/us/G1V1000-Belkin/p/P-G1V1000/

I have this hooked up to my Directv receiver in a bedroom and the @tv software on my desktop computer allows for live tv watching and recording of such on the hard drive.

6. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I have the Hauppauge HD PVR2. You won't be able to use the HDMI passthrough unless the TV is also on, or some other device that keeps the HDMI input active. I ended up using component video, which works fine.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    :up: .

I did a test drive on this item in April, and I was very impressed. For PC-based systems, I think this is the one to get. The only reason I did not get it is the EyeTV from El Gato is a better choice for the Mac platform. They are very similar, and I like how well they can create a portable version to use on an iPad, laptop, or iPhone. The HDPVR can also record HD on a common DVD-R blank, and that can be played back, in HD, on any Blu-Ray player. What each system essentially is, is a hardware MPEG-4 HD encoder/decoder.

Either system works well with a DirecTV receiver, but if you have a multi-channel DVR, it is really only good for dubbing off pre-recorded content, because the output of such a device does not always mirror the channel it is tuned to when live. It will work, but it is clunky. You can also use either system with a HD STB such as the one from Homeworx, which is about $35 on Amazon.

SInceeither system can use component HD, the "analog hole", you do not have to be concerned with DRM issues or "copy once" restrictions. The HDMI out may not be as permissive. But analog HD component is every bit as good as HDMI, other than you probably are restricted to DD 2.0 audio (which you can then use Pro Logic on to get a matrixed 7.1 experience). But that is rarely a concern for PC or portable usage anyway. EyeTV does not have an HDMI in/out.

8. Aug 4, 2014 #8 of 12
    BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    Because I have an older flat screen PC monitor, that is not an LCD HDTV.
    But my PC monitor is still a flat screen which has an HDMI input.
    Wait, can the DirecTV Genie Mini still hook up with an HDMI input to my PC flat screen monitor, and it will pick up the DirecTV signal to watch DirecTV programming, including HD quality (since my monitor is an HD monitor)???

Will that work, since my PC monitor has HDMI?

9. Aug 4, 2014 #9 of 12
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yes, any monitor or other type of display with a HDMI input will work fine with any Directv equipment, including the Mini.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sure, but the question is, does your monitor has speakers? Otherwise you will have to 'rig" something up to get audio form the mini

11. BusterAvis

BusterAvis Legend

Jul 13, 2012
    It worked, but I have to manually control the volume by hitting these buttons directly on the PC monitor (the PC monitor did not come with a remote).
    Sadly, the DirecTV Genie remote nor the older taller/thinner DirecTV universal remote works in terms of controlling the volume on that PC monitor.
    I'm going to go with a dual-monitor approach here soon. One for the PC, and a new LCD HDTV (as opposed to a PC monitor) for the DirecTV monitor.

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps because it lacks an IR sensor....