1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IBEW and DirecTV

Discussion in 'The OT' started by codespy, May 31, 2012.

1. codespy

codespy Ted- Get some free agents NOW!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Saw this message recently from IBEW regarding International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and DirecTV.

I do remember some of the clips from last year's show on CBS....I have DirectSat doing installs where I live.

Dear: Friend

$12.6 million. That’s how much the Florida-based engineering contractor MasTec was ordered to pay in back wages five years ago after failing to pay its workers overtime wages mandated by law.

You would think the company – which installs satellite dishes for DirecTV – would have learned its lesson. But MasTec’s anti-worker, law-breaking ways continues.

CEO Jose Mas even recently made an appearance on the reality show “Undercover Boss,” touting himself as a caring employer. But the truth is MasTec continues to violate basic labor law, denying the right of its technicians to freely collectively bargain.

More than 120 MasTec employees – from Georgia to Connecticut – have voted to join the IBEW in the last three years.

But these workers are all still without a first contract. Even worse, MasTec is actively punishing them by outsourcing their jobs.

More than half of the approximately 60 technicians at MasTec’s Duluth, Ga., facility who originally voted for a voice on the job with the IBEW three years ago have been driven out of the workplace, while in Durham, Conn., pro-union employees have had jobs taken away and given to nonunion subcontractors.

Tell DirecTV CEO Michael White: Time for MasTec to Play Fair With Workers.

And with more technicians looking to join the IBEW, we can’t afford to let companies like MasTec to continue to flout the law.

Please sign the petition to send a message to DirecTV CEO Michael White, telling him that he needs his contractors to respect their workers.

(petition link omitted)

2. Jun 1, 2012 #2 of 18
    Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    Dish Network is doing the exact same thing. A regional service provider's employees voted to be represented by the IBEW last year and the management is refusing to negotiate. Really don't want to start a pro/anti-union argument here, like politics and religion people tend to have very strong opinions on this subject. Just sharing some pertinent information.;)

3. Jun 1, 2012 #3 of 18
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Helpful hint 1: If you don't like the policies and practices of your current employer, go find another job.

Helpful hint 2: The economy is in terrible shape. Good luck finding another job.

Helpful hint 3: Nobody owes you a damn thing.

4. Jun 1, 2012 #4 of 18
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009

Did you miss the part about them breaking the law? :nono2:

5. Jun 1, 2012 #5 of 18
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Nope. Not at all.

6. Jun 1, 2012 #6 of 18
    Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    What is wrong with trying to better your work enviroment? Whats wrong with trying to get fair policy and practices put in place? Whats wrong with people standing up for themselves? Happy employees make better employees who in turn make more money for the employer because they feel apprieciated and are willing to go the extra mile. I think its safe to say in this case that nobody feels they are owed anything they are just trying to better their work conditions.

7. Jun 1, 2012 #7 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As long as they can continue to operate the way they are, what would be the motivation to change?

8. Jun 1, 2012 #8 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Very little is wrong unless it overburdens your employer.
    Is unionizing the best or only way to accomplish this?
    How is enlisting the help of an 800 pound gorilla equivalent to standing up for onesself?

9. Jun 1, 2012 #9 of 18
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Main question, are customers willing to pay the $100 or more increase per install IBEW involvement would likely lead to?

There's a reason so many former US jobs are now in China, India, Pakistan, Mexico, etc.

Or maybe they'll just drop the installers and send out self-install kits like they used to do. Customer has a problem during install, call for help goes off-shore.

Installer that used to make $50 (arbitrary number) per install, now gets squat instead of a raise.

10. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I look at it this way.
    If the company hadn't been violating wage laws and creating a hostile work environment, then it's not likely that they would have become a target for the union to begin with.

Seeds grow in fertile soil.

11. prestoru

prestoru AllStar

Oct 14, 2007
    Employees were cheated out of overtime pay. They filed and won a class action law suit without the help of a union. So, they need a union?

12. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Yeah. I think they may.
    The company has already demonstrated a desire to screw them over. A union would bring employee solidarity to the mix, and they would provide professionals who are used to dealing with dishonest employers.

As stated before, the company fostered this through their own bad behavior, so now they reap what they have sewn.

13. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    People in those countries have a much lower standard of living. They are able to encourage people who lived in huts to come LIVE at the factory in a dormitory and earn A small fraction of the minimum wage here. So should our companies build dorms and pay their workers $3 an hour and expect them to work 12 hours a day? Would you truthfully be willing to work in that sort of environment yourself? Plus let the company dump all all of their pollution into the nearby stream? Out of sight, out of mind. Unions gave us many things we take for granted like the 40 hour work week. Are some of them over zealous? Yes. Are all of them? No. I'd gladly pay more to keep my neighbors in a job than to have it shipped overseas - unless their higher price was paying for luxuries - 20 hour work week for same pay as 40, company car, etc.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Would'ya really?

I don' t'ink so.

The jobs went off-shore (in part) because US consumers weren't willing to pay the higher prices that would have resulted from continued wage increases.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, I know I paid extra willingly for Dell Gold Support on a laptop I had. I wish they'd let me do the same for my current systems.

16. Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    Consumers will buy what they want, exploiting third world countries and their citizens rests firmly upon the shoulders of US corporations willing to sell their souls for a profit.
    Cost of living wage increases are not greedy but necessary and one employee asking for it results in that employee getting a pink slip. All the employees asking generally gets results.
    "Just go find another job" worked at one time in USA history, but now the pickings are slim. Would you rather have someone in your home that sees their job as a career, or as a quick segway to greater things?
    USA was built on industry, elitist mentalities of some would see it become a 100% consumer nation, which simply cannot survive. Workers have rights and deserve every bit the same treatment of any other citizen.

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Unions create hostile environments too. I've seen situations where union dues are deducted from your pay whether your a member or not.

18. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    +1