1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Ice Road Truckers - Season Seven

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1 of 11
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Anyone still watching this series?

2. Jun 9, 2013 #2 of 11
    Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Someone must be, I bailed after season 1 when they kept showing fake CG trucks falling through ice and pretending like someone might die after every commercial break. I guess they added some eye candy in the last few years. Wonder what they pay to be on the show?

3. Jun 9, 2013 #3 of 11
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope. Stopped after about season 3. How many times can they drive over the same icy roads?

4. Jun 9, 2013 #4 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Actually the early season truck going through the ice was a practical effect ... a model they filmed.

The drama gets old ... I can't believe that they are airing a season 7. What more is there to say about the topic? Personally I'd like to see more of Discovery's Storm Chasers - but that too got old and was not as "fun" when one realizes that the killer storms they are tracking actually kill people. They played up the same "rough and ready cowboy" mentality as they have on Ice Road (and the spinoffs) on Storm Chasers. And one can see that on a dozen other "rough job" reality shows (Deadliest Catch, Axe Men and several others).

Another year of Ice Road ... what more can they do? Then again - how many years did COPS run with practically the same show every week?

5. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I wasn't aware they were doing a season 7 until I saw this thread and noticed a new episode in the playlist (I still have a season pass set-up). For the most part I stopped watching the show on a continual basis about 2 or 3 years ago. Since then I tend to watch until the first commercial break and decide from there if the episode is worth watching or not.

from the first few minutes of what I saw this morning (I do plan to finish the episode), this season looks somewhat interesting but only time will tell.

6. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I have it set to record so we will see. Looks like Hugh is back in Alaska and I have to see how he and Darrell will get along. I wonder if they will have any newbie washouts this year?

7. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    I will watch it tonight.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Manitoba isn't Alaska. :)

Well I made it to the first commercial break. Not liking the "vs" aspect. But I suppose they need some hook.

9. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Is he not back in Alaska. I would swear the promo made it sound like he was back in Alaska. Otherwise, he was already in Canada, why would be be back there?

10. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    For those who haven’t watched the soap opera that is now called Ice Road Truckers, let me see if I can get you caught up.

A few years ago, the show split and had one set of guys on the back roads in Canada and the other set on the Dalton in Alaska. Hugh, Rick and Alex were the Canada drivers and a whole cast of others rotated in and out of Alaska with a couple of semi-regular drivers (Lisa and Jack). With only one episode shown, it looks like this year is all in Canada and they are setting it up as a grudge match between two trucking companies.

The back story. Polar Industries is the company Hugh and Rick drove for last year and I think the previous year when Hugh was booted from the Dalton; not sure who Alex was with. Rick did his normal thing and got booted from Polar mid-season or possibly at the end of the previous season. Hugh had a falling out with the head of Polar industries over money and now he and a former Polar Industries person have formed a company called VP trucking or something like that. The premise is that Hugh and the new guy are going to try to take down Polar and put them out of business. To compete against Hugh’s new company, Polar has brought in Alex, Lisa and Darrel to drive for Polar.

Throw in your typical “Lisa is a girl who can't drive and shouldn't be out here” along with the faux back and forth between Hugh and Alex and Hugh and Darrell. Then add semi’s jack knifing around icy corners along with drivers bouncing out of their seats from driving on what looks like a motor cross track covered in snow and you are now up to speed.

In a nutshell, that’s about it.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not a bad summary.

The first year of IRT was Yellowknife ... with the road operators and trucking firm that allowed the project to be filmed regretting their decision. I suppose they were looking for more of a documentary feel than the "dash for the cash" reality show. Season two went to the North West Territories of Canada. Season three and four were on the Dalton. Season five was split between the Dalton and Manitoba. Season Six had a three way split, adding the Northwest Territories.

And this year (so far) it is all Manitoba.