1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icing Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by onan38, Dec 15, 2008.

1. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    We are expecting icy conditions here in Kentucky and southern Indiana tonight. I've been with Directv since 94 my old dish i would just (knock,tap hard enough to break the ice off the dish.) They are predicting 1/4 inch or more for my area i have only had my HD dish for 3 months what is the best way to protect the dish and LNB's from thicker than average ice. I am afraid with very thick ice and tapping to get it off the lnb's and screwing them up. Luckily my dish is close to the ground any advice would be helpful.

2. TomCat4680

TomCat4680 Godfather

Nov 17, 2008
    poor some hot water on it to melt it. I did it last week when alot of my channels weren't coming in cuz of the ice and it worked.

3. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    Just be careful with the hot water on the LNB as it could crack the plastic!:rolleyes:

4. HiDuck

HiDuck AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    I read somewhere in the threads people advocating the use of a super-soaker and shooting windshield deicer at the dish. With yours so close to the ground you could probably just use a spray bottle filled with the stuff. Also Prestone now make a pretreat for windows to keep the ice from grabbing hold to begin with. I wonder if that would be a better option?

5. gocardinals

gocardinals AllStar

Dec 11, 2005
    I have icing problems in central Illinois. I noticed some ice in the bottom center of the dish. Is this the main problem area? Or on the LMB?

6. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    There was a product marketed some years ago which was a spray-on coating that left a peach-like surface on the dish. I used it in Scotland and it worked well.

(Edit) This looks like the same kind of thing:

http://www.wx2100.com/

7. ArcinGuy

ArcinGuy New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    I know the use of non-stick spray is not recommended b/c it can damage the dish coating, but hot water is okay as long as you stay away from the lnb like he said. Im not sure about de-icer, but i would recommend against it.