1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea for the space left on dvr

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chrishiatt1973, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrishiatt1973

chrishiatt1973 Banned User

Nov 21, 2005
    Instead of a percent display (which works ok when you have 100 hours to use) have a display that says "85 of 100 hours" available while still keeping the meter, because when we soon will have over 100 hours storage capacity, the old way will be confusing to many

what people think ?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It would make sense... and would probably make a good addition.... but the only problem is... "Hours" on a DVR are estimated numbers, they are not exact.

Where the percentage free space on the drive is closer to being a more accurate representation

3. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Can't be done. There is no such thing as "85 hours" available. It is completely dependent on the type of programming you record, and can vary probably close to a factor of two.

4. chrishiatt1973

Nov 21, 2005

do you mean on programming quality ? such as 4801 480p and etec up to 1080p

5. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Nope, I'm talking about all the SD channels. A talking-heads program can look as good or better than a sports program with the former using probably half the bitrate.

Obviously when you start talking about SD vs HD, you're talking about a much larger difference between bandwidth.

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

Kinda... has to do with BitRates... Basically compression levels.

A live sporting event is usually less compressed, then say a 25 year-old B&W Sitcom... So 5 minutes of the sporting even may take up 10 mb on the hard drive, where 5 minutes of the sitcom, may only take up 1mb
    (the 5min -> Drive space numbers are made up, but the "concept" is the same)

7. chrishiatt1973

Nov 21, 2005
    how is the percantage compensate then ?

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Percentage basically looks at the drive...

25gb is used up right now... out of 100mb that is available for those recordings...

75% free

It is easy on a file system level, to say... Y is the amount of space available for recordings; X is the amount of space used up... thus ((Y-X)/Y) * 100 = percentage. Since both Y and X are known.... percentage is much closer to an accurate reflection of what amount of space is left.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Also, continuing Earl's example, if you typically record the same types of programs on a continuing basis, then the calculation for your dvr would be fairly accurate. If, on the other hand, you have no consistency in the type of program, or the channel, that you record, the time estimate will probably be off by quite a bit on your dvr.

I use one of my R15's almost exclusively to record movies from premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc.). The compression rate on those is very consistent, and I have actually hit 85% of my drive space filled with 85 hours of movies, give or take just a few minutes. Dead on calculation of the drive space estimate.

My other R15 is used differently, recording news, series, and some miscellaneous programs. The time used guide on it is very usefull, but is no where near as accurate as on my other R15.

Carl

10. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Does anyone know if the free space indicator shows the whole drive or is it just our 100 GB's.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Just the 100hrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.