1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas on getting more height out of a steel pipe?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JeffL, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 4, 2008 #1 of 20
    JeffL

JeffL Cool Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I've always done my own dish installs for myself, family and friends. I think I know where I need to put the dish(s) (it's been advised here that being in Washington state I'll probably need two dishes) but I'm not sure exactly how much height I need. I've got an existing heavy steel pipe (2 1/4" OD ) that was used for DirecWay internet access (not used any more). That pipe is about 6' high. That dish has a clear view of Horizon 127. So from that pole I'm pretty sure I can obviously get 129 and probably 119. But for the 110 sat. I'm pretty sure I'm pointing well into the garage. So I need more height than what the pole is (so it can peek over the garage). I'm thinking I can bolt a 10' or 12' 2x8 onto the existing pipe (that is very well concreted in!). The dish can then be mounted to that wood higher up than would be possible with just the pipe. I could nail 2x4's turned sideways and nailed to the back of the 2x8 to make it more ridged. Does this sound like a reasonable way to get more height out of an existing pipe?

Also, when Dish says "free installation", do they usually do a site visit first (keeping it free). I'm not sure exactly how much height I need to get over the garage. I guess I can figure out how high the sat. is at 20' from the dish at 35 degrees elevation. But still, would be nice to have someone confirm it all before before doing it. Or do they usually come out expecting to be able to do the entire job on one visit? In other words, I better have this ready!

2. Jun 4, 2008 #2 of 20
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    1. The installers expect to be able to do the job in one visit.

2. In most cases, an installer is not going to be able to mount or work on a dish that's on a pole more than 6' or so high. Most have A-frame ladders that are only 6-8' tall, and use extension ladders for higher work. You can't set an extension ladder against a pole.

Also, you'd almost certainly have problems with a wooden post warping in the weather, which means that you'd need constant repointing of the dish, which is the reason a steel pole was used for the original install.

Finally, you'd need an adapter of some kind on the pole, as all of Dish's dishes fit a 1 5/8" (1.66") pole.

Is there no place to attach the dish to the building to get line-of-site?

3. Jun 4, 2008 #3 of 20
    tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    Use any search engine and lookup 'dish mounting accessories.'

There are a lot of products out there that might work for you. It sounds like you enjoy the do-it-yourself arr-arr-arr project. (like me :) ) but at least looking at some of the products might give you some ideas.

Here are a few links to get you started. I'm not affiliated with any:

Home Tech

Dish Depot

Good luck and let us know what you devise!

4. Jun 4, 2008 #4 of 20
    southofi-10

southofi-10 Cool Member

Apr 6, 2008

Rohn 25G towers are great for this.A 2 section ,20" tower concreted in the ground is self supporting and can be aquired at resonable cost.They are easy to climb and work from. Someone in your neighbor hood might have one up they no longer use.Here in the south,I have takenn down several.people used the for antennas but they no longer want them since cable & sat came along.
    These are also good for attaching digital antennas (regualar uhf/vhf) for digital over the air reception FREE
    Also consider a A frame roof top mount .You could probably add a 6' pole to that without alot of problems.
    Good Luck

5. Jun 4, 2008 #5 of 20
    spear61

spear61 Godfather

Sep 19, 2004
    should work fine. Or you could u-bolt a 10 ft long 3 inch angle iron to your pipe. You would have good rigidity.

6. Jun 4, 2008 #6 of 20
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I have used old Primestar poles in the past by inserting a pipe of the proper size inside the Primestar pole (proably the same size as you have) and screwing through the Primestar pole into the new pole and pulling them tightly together. Normally I used 3 strong screws to achieve the desired results. I've never done a 10' extension this way, but, if you get a strong enough pipe it "should" work.

7. Jun 5, 2008 #7 of 20
    PTown

PTown Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    110 is higher than 119,129 are you sure it won't be alright where it is?

8. Jun 5, 2008 #8 of 20
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    110 is higher if you are on the east coast, not from the west coast.

9. Jun 6, 2008 #9 of 20
    PTown

PTown Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    Not sure what WA is.

10. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    WA=Washington

11. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Seriously!?!?!?! when I read that I went WA??? as in What the ....

12. Jimmy the Dish

Jimmy the Dish Mentor

Nov 12, 2005
    Go to dishpointer.com that'll give you the elevation and azimuth for your location.

13. PTown

PTown Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    I thought Washington was in DC?
    I'm sorry I have not lived in the USA long enough to know all about the 48 states.

:)

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The dish could be 3' off the ground and still get the signal! Unless you need to see 61.5 on the west coast there is no need for a taller pole. I use pole mounts for my 2 dishes. They are ~6' high (2' of an 8' pole is below ground level). I'm thinking about lowering them to increase wind resistance (putting another foot of the pole underground). These poles are under the overhangs of my house. This protects them from some snow plus they are low enough to reach should I need to brush them off.

15. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Wow. When I was installing big dishes (7' - 10') in Minnesnowta I had to go at least 3' down (I usually went 3.5 - 4' to be safe) to get below the frost line. If the bottom isn't below the frost line the pole will eventually shift and the satellites will be lost.

16. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    That may be true with a clear line of sight, but it won't be true if there's an obstruction (like a garage) in the way! The OP is worried about his garage which is blocking the view of 110, and wants to make the mount higher so it can see over the garage. I his case, it looks like the options may be to go higher, or use a different mounting location.

To the OP: what kind of snow load do you get piled up on that garage roof? If you're going to try and peek over the roof, make sure the line of sight is high enough to see over your maximum snow load. (You do get snow in WA, don't you? ;) )

17. JeffL

JeffL Cool Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your great ideas and and thoughts. I spent some time getting the exact compass directions and found one location on the house up high tucked into a dormer wall that will have a view of all three locations. Sooooo.... I've signed up with Dish and they will be here Wed! The Dish rep. said that the installer would bring a long enough ladder (the house is referred to as a 2 1/2 story counting the daylight basement and dormers). For the main locations (HD TV), from dish to 722 will be about 120'. For the 2nd location (in the daylight basement) will only be about 50'. They will need to drill through the concrete wall to get coax there. The Dish rep. said they would do all that and whatever was needed for the free install.

I did get a 612 for the basement location. I sure hope that is ok. They said I would be able to move a USB drive between the two location (share drive between 722 and 612) and share shows. I hope that the 722 and 612 get the same capabilities (other than only a single output). I notice the version 5 software (adding usb folders to show list) only went to the 622 and 722. I hope they don't forget about the 612!

18. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
  19. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Yes, I do that now. I use a USB drive to move shows between a 722 and two different 612s with no issues.

Well, maybe one issue... one of the 612s is in my motorhome. I moved a bunch of shows from the two other units onto the USB drive, then I hit the road. When I had set up camp, there was a row of tall trees to the South, and my rooftop dome could not lock onto any satellites. Not to worry, I thought, as I have plenty of shows to watch on the USB drive. Wrong. I plugged in the drive, and it said the feature was not enabled, and I had to call to activate it. Well, the feature was enabled, it's just that the receiver had not seen a satellite since it was powered on, so it didn't know it was enabled. D'oh!

As soon as I was back in an area with a clear view of the sky, the dome locked onto a satellite, the receiver got authorized once again, and the external drive worked again.

Since you will be using all of the DVRs in your house, you should not have this issue. (Except maybe if you loose power in a thunderstorm or snow storm, and when you get it back the storm is bad enough that you can't lock onto any satellites.)

My experience is that they both do exactly the same thing, with the same features, except that the 722 has more disk space, and has that second TV output.

A good observation! My guess is that they will add that feature later when the offer an update to the 612. Right now, my 612s have all the same features of the 722, but with a different software version number. So, they already run different versions, I would be surprised if they combine them into the same load now.

But it doesn't really matter, since all the functionality you need is there now. The USB drive doesn't currently show up in the DVR menu, but it's pretty easy to get to it using the menu button, then selecting the multimedia option. Also, when you first plug in the drive, it takes a few seconds for it to be recognized, and then pops up an alert indicating a drive was plugged in, and do you want to immediately go to the screen showing its contents? Since I don't keep the drive plugged in all the time (I only use it for moving shows, not archiving them) I have rarely had to go to the menu to get to the drive listing.

Good luck with your installation!

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    For my dish tree, I got a 10' galvanized corner post from HD, cut a notch in the
    bottom, sunk it 4' into the ground & poured qwickcrete into the hole. It stands 6'
    above ground w/3 dishes mounted near the top, looking at 119, 110, 61.5 & 61.5.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.