1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idol-beating The Big Bang Theory social media analytics

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Feb 24, 2012.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As noted in the Ratings thread, "The Big Bang Theory" is beat "American Idol" in the ratings last night.

Today on the AdAge website we have The Show That Beats 'American Idol': Inside the Exploding Popularity of 'The Big Bang Theory' which tells us what's going on in the social media regarding this show:
    "The Big Bang Theory" ratings last night were 5.2/15 - 16.11 million, up from same-week-last-year's 3.8/11 - 12.51. That's a 37% increase in the 18-49 demo and 25% in the 50+ crowd.

2. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    IMHO, BBT has consistently been one of the best shows on TV since it's first episode.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    By far one of the best TV shows in the last few years.

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    And one of the best episodes last night.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Agreed. Funny how I wouldn't watch it at first, figured there'd be bad geek comments, inaccuracies etc. Boy was I wrong.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Never watched it and wouldn't have any idea if geek comments were accurate or inaccurate.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    BBT is hands down the best show out there right now and I hope it continues to crush Idol.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Thank goodness for DVRs, because I'm a big fan of both shows. After what I thought was a shaky start with the new judges last season, this year's Idol has been great, at least so far. Just my .02.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Ditto.

But as others have pointed out....that's the beauty of having a DVR...people in the same household can see both programs if desired.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Generally even things written on whiteboards have been accurate. They have had real scientists and astronauts as guests, so they haven't ticked off that whole community.

Can't get much better than a real PhD in Neuroscience playing a Neuroscientist as a regular cast member.

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Make that .04-cents. :D

12. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Ditto!

TBBT is my FAVORITE comedy on TV, and one of my favorite shows. That being said, I don't have to watch it right away, but AI is something I watch as close to live as I possibly can... not just because of the show, but because it's something I share in common with family and friends who like to discuss and dissect the show/performances with me.

As far as AI being great this year, it depends on how you mean it. I have disagreed with some of the things the show has done this year (editing, directing, decisions, etc.), but I think they have an AWESOME lineup this year. Of the "Top 24", there's 23 of them I'd like to see make it to the "Top 12", and that number may go up depending upon who is brought back Tuesday night (praying it's not Richie Law). Sure, there's some I like better than others, but I really think this is a great year for talent for them.

Not to mention that there is a bonus amount of interest for me since one of the contestants grew up down the road from me... :D

~Alan