1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If 622 is replaced, does external hard drive work on new one?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by computerdoc, May 26, 2008.

1. computerdoc

computerdoc Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Distinct whining sound coming from my 2 year old 622. Very loud and distracting. I suspect the hard drive or some electronic component is failing. If Dish replaces the 622, will the 500GB external hard drive that I have full of recordings from this 622 work with the replacement? Anyone have any experience with having this problem and dealing with Dish on hardware problems of this sort?:eek2:

2. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    Yes, the external HD and the recordings on it will work with a replacement 622/722.

3. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    The whining started when L4.49 was released. A lot of us have reported here on that. Apparently the internal fans have been set to run more often than in previous software releases. I wouldn't take that as a sign of impending failure.

To my knowledge, any replacement 622 you get should recognize your EHD. The USB port should arrive already activated. If I have this wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me on it.

4. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I would make sure that the Household key was set; not zeros, before I connected the EHD.

5. garyhesq

garyhesq AllStar

Nov 4, 2004
    Somehow my 622 lost it's association with my EHD. It says if I activate it all the existing recordings will be deleted. Is there a way to correct that without loosing everything?

6. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    It will not erase recordings.

7. computerdoc

computerdoc Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    When I did a search of the forum I didn't find much referring to a whining sound. Could you point me to the threads? Also, in general, is there a fix for it?
    TIA

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    He probably mean that noise from a fan; regarding L4.49 - I wouldn't blame it, I saw 622 working fine, no fan noise because it off all the time exclude morning reboots.
    Pretty sure his DVR sit in tight closet, no ventilation and been overheated. Replacing 622 will not help him.

9. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Not sure what error code you have with this warning but it MAY erase everything. Take a look about the 588 error message on these threads. I got a similar message and was told by several people and 3 CSRs that it would NOT erase my hard drive. I did some searching and learned about getting a "hit" from E* which fixes the problem by reassigning a household key to your EHDs. Anyway worked like a charm for me and I know for a fact several people did lose ALL of their programming by agreeing to the error message. My advice, connect your EHD, call E* and ask for a "hit" to be sent to your receiver. They will know what it means. 2 minutes later everything should be fine.

10. garyhesq

garyhesq AllStar

Nov 4, 2004
    Thanks. I'll give them a call tonight when I get home.