1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

If Dish cuts off my Gannet station(s) Sun I will...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Marcus S, Oct 5, 2012.

If Dish cuts off my Gannet station(s) Sun I will...

1. Gannet and Dish need to work out a solution for everyone’s benefit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Pay whatever it takes to receive my Gannet stations on Dish

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. I just assume receive my networks OTA, non-issue for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Leave Dish

30 vote(s)
    78.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 5, 2012 #1 of 20
    Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Please no thread replies here, this is a poll. Post your commentary in Nick's Post, Gannett Hopping Mad Over 'Hopper' -- Set to Pull Stations From Dish Oct. 7 Because this is not a sticky and only thread replies bump this thread I will bump it once daily until either Gannet & Dish resolve the dispute by Sun, this poll expires on Wed or a moderator ups this poll to sticky.

2. Oct 6, 2012 #2 of 20
    strikes2k

strikes2k AllStar

Dec 9, 2008
    I have a Hopper. How come there's no option for "deal with it?" Cause I'm not leaving DISH over this.

3. Oct 6, 2012 #3 of 20
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Lame poll is lame, needs more options.

4. Oct 6, 2012 #4 of 20
    David085

David085 New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Poll doesn't have much choices it needs more damn!

5. Oct 6, 2012 #5 of 20
    David085

David085 New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I don't have dish network yet but they're going to come on Tuesday around in the morning through 12 pm time frame, can't wait to see if I will like it.

6. Oct 6, 2012 #6 of 20
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Thread title is flawed.

Dish will not cut any stations off. If they go away, it will be because Gannett pulled them.

7. Oct 6, 2012 #7 of 20
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    What does "I just assume receive" mean?

8. Oct 6, 2012 #8 of 20
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

I assume that should say "I'd just as soon ... "

9. Oct 6, 2012 #9 of 20
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    ^My best guess at it as well.

10. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    i am not leaving
    dish has been good to me (free PPV coupons,free premium channels)

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The options could be stated better ... and I agree, discussion of the underlying issue MUST be in the other thread.

Perhaps better options would have been:
    1) Go without the stations - even if they do not return I'll stay with DISH
    2) Watch via OTA and not change carriers
    3) Wait a while and consider changing carriers if it takes too long to reach a deal
    4) Immediately find another carrier

12. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    The world can never be perfect because regardless of the poll question wording, as we have seen for over 16 years, no one will like them unless they are worded to address their specific gripe. The options provided "are" suffcient to answer the question. "I will leave Dish because Gannet blacks out my channels over auto hop", "I will leave Dish if the Gannet deal raises my cost", "I was already thinking of leaving Dish because of AMC and now this", and the infamous "Your wording is not grammaticaly correct" are either speculative or an opinion by one individual.

13. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003

Exactly Dish is not dropping anything. It is being taken away by the content provider.

14. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Is the result any different? "Your grammar or wording complaints" do not change the outcome and only attempt to discourage others from participating by pissing on the fire hydrant?

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My objection to the wording is based on what consumers can actually do. "Gannet and Dish need to work out a solution for everyone’s benefit" is an opinion, not an action or decision not to act (to wait it out). "Pay whatever it takes to receive my Gannet stations on Dish" is not an option individual subscribers have or DISH can offer. (DISH cannot offer a local market as $5 for most ;ocal channels, $10 for local channels including Gannet.)

With respect, half of your options are not available. :)

When I read "If Dish cuts off my Gannet station(s) Sun I will..." I expect options that I could actually do. Stay forever, stay and give them time, watch OTA and leave immediately are options subscribers actually have.

16. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    All I expect is accuracy about the subject in the "grammar and wording".

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I think we all get the gist of what Marcus is asking, lets stop piling on. Incidentally, when someone says, "with all due respect...", I don't expect any respect from that point forward. :lol:

18. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Why not create a poll that is more generalized? Like: If one of my local stations disappeared from Dish, I would ...

For me, I would just receive it OTA from DC (I get Baltimore locals via Dish, but can also receive DC, central PA and Philadelphia locals OTA). That way, I get guide data and get to stick it to the stupid station that wouldn't agree to reasonable terms.

I wish Dish would bring back the option to drop locals and save $5/month (but still provide guide data).

19. Marcus S

Marcus S Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    There are no points being made here; posting over 100 variations of the question will not change the fact that 1) Gannet stations will still be here Sun. 2) Gannet stations will be gone on Sun. To say Gannet and Dish negotiating a resolution is speculation is ludicrous. To ask for an option, "If Gannet blacks out my stations on Dish I will sue my ex wife over the alimony” is ridiculous.

Please vote to the best of your ability or do not participate in this poll. Please welcome our new members from Gannet and Denver 9/20 watching this ironically (speculation - everyones favorite term). I sorted the newbe member list by latest, wow explosion membership Oct, talk is now the iPhone 5!

20. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    While OTA is not an option for me (house is in a lousy location and too far from the transmission towers), it IS a non-issue for me since there is virtually nothing on those two channels in the Atlanta area (that will go dark) that I watch. I really won't miss Sunday Night football on NBC very much. Hope a deal can be worked out within the next few weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.