1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I cancel HD service, can I still get OTA HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jake14mw, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jake14mw

jake14mw AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    Hi all,

I have both an HR20 and an HR10 Hi-Def Tivo on my account. I'm trying to bring down my monthly DirecTV bill. If I cancel HD service through DirecTV:

1) Will they require me to send back the HR20?
    2) If not, can I still view OTA local HD on it?
    3) Will I still be able to view OTA local HD on the HR10?
    4) I am guessing I will not be able to record any of this OTA HD?

Thanks.

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Deleted:

I have to apologize, I misread your OP. I thought you were talking about canceling your entire account, not just HD. Sorry!

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'd just call and cancel the HD service and see what they say. You can always re-instate it.

My guess is you will be able to do all the above if they let you keep the HR20, because they currently have no way of keeping channels you don't get out of the GUIDE. I'm not sure about the HR10, tho. You may not be able to "find" the OTA channels in the GUIDE, but you will probably be able to tune to them LIVE and at minimum record them manually.

I'd call and cancel HD. Wait a couple of days and if you're not happy, call and say you didn't realize you'd lose your OTA HD, so please restart it. Be curious to know how you make out.

/steve

4. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    The HR10-250 can record OTA stations just fine without paying the HD fee, assuming it is a subscribed unit and you have DVR service active.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Cool. So the "-1" channels continue to be listed in the GUIDE? /steve

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Typically they will want the HR20 back.

The only way to know for sure is to ask DIRECTV.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I disagree. Especially if you tell them you just want to cancel HD 'til you're back on your feet financially. Otherwise it will cost them money to ship you a box to return the HR20 and send you out a new SD box.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. /steve

8. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    That is correct.

9. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Actually DirectV is not requiring any boxes back if you just cancel the HD add on. They are going to the one box fits all. You can even go on line and cancel the HD add on service. Yes you still can get OTA HD stations and record them. Many of us on here have done this over time. This is on the HR20 which I do have and have done this. So if you want go on line and cancel the HD service and enjoy your OTA HD stations and record them.

10. techgirl

techgirl AllStar

May 26, 2007
    On the HR20, it is my understanding, from earlier posts, that you have to have the HD service to receive OTA channels. However, I don't believe that there is the same requirement on the HR10.

UPDATE - Here is the thread that I refer to: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=142097

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In any case, only DIRECTV can tell a customer how they are going to deal with it. Our reasoning and speculation (and even the equipment lease agreements) don't really make no nevermind.

12. REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47 Legend

Sep 2, 2007
    Woodbine,MD
    i think with the hr20 you will get a message (750) after a while on your ota channels,not sure about hr10,message 750 has to do with hd not purchaced.

13. Flugelman

Flugelman Legend

Nov 20, 2007
    Prior to release 0x407E I could get OTA HD on my H20-600. That release changed to require an HD subscription to get OTA HD.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If the HD receiver is leased HD access is required to remain on the account. So if he doesn't want to have HD service with a leased HD unit there's no reason for him to have it and will be requested to be returned. It's in their lease agreement you can read on the website.

Now I'm sure that with everything else someone else has had something removed and been fine. That being said I wouldn't count on someone else's getting around the system.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Agree, reading about exceptions here does not make them the rule for everyone else.

16. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    maybe you should just buy one of those new digltal converter boxes, and get your ota hd channels for free. of course after you pay the $60.00 then use your $40.00 coupon.

17. bjs188

bjs188 AllStar

Jun 25, 2004
    I switched to the family pack online and the HD access went away and I could not add it back online. I keep the HD Extra Pack (3 months free). My HR20 and HR21 would only output 480p on OTA channels. My HR10 worked fine.

After about a week, I called to get HD access back. While the rep was adding it, I lost the HD Extra Pack so the rep gave me 6 months free. After the HD access was back, my HR20 and HD21 would do 1080i again.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While the new digital converter boxes will tune HD channels, they do NOT provide an HD picture.