1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if I want to add premiums, I'm required to change pkg

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jollygrunt, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jollygrunt

jollygrunt Mentor

Apr 13, 2005
    I tried to add the 2for1 starz showtime special online, but got the following message instead:

"Before you can make changes to your account you are required to change your package. You have an older package that does not support the programming/service you have selected[we no longer offer your old discontinued package]."

I checked all the premiums to see if this was the case for them all and found that the only ones I can add to my current account are babyfirst, playboy, and setanta.

:nono:

This sucks.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You need to call in the changes if you want to keep a grandfathered package.

3. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Yeah, it's not that big of a deal. Just call in and talk to a CSR to make the changes you want. I'm grandfathered into an old package also, and had to do that a couple of years ago to had the HD Extra Pak and just last Saturday to add Showtime. If you try to make changes on line or through their automated system, then they will tell you that you have to change your base package. A CSR can make the changes and still keep your grandfathered base package.

4. jollygrunt

jollygrunt Mentor

Apr 13, 2005
    Ahh..ok. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. :)

5. jollygrunt

jollygrunt Mentor

Apr 13, 2005
    update:

I just got off the phone with a csr and added the Starz/Showtime 2for1 and the HBO/Cinemax 2for1 3 month specials for $12.99 and $14.99 per month respectively. After 3 months, they go back to regular price.

I asked him about upgrading my current package to Choice Ultimate, but he recommnded that I keep the grandfathered one I have as it has HD and DVR service included for free.

6. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    When did they add this the HBO/MAX 2for1? I must have missed that one. Maybe worth adding as my STARZ/SHO is nearing its end

7. jollygrunt

jollygrunt Mentor

Apr 13, 2005
    I'd only heard about the starz/showtime one, and that's deal I asked for from the CSR and then he mentioned about the hbo/cinemax deal so I got that as well.

8. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    I posted about the HBO/MAX one several weeks ago.

9. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Wow...thanks for the heads up. I just ordered HBO online a week ago for The Pacific, and just called and got the HBO/Cinemax 2 for 1 deal! (Along with my current Starz/Showtime 2 for 1 deal...so, really, 4 for 2!).

10. jsquash

jsquash Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    They almost always have the HBO/Cinemax offer, they just dont seem to advertise it very much. Everytime (5 or 6 times in the last 4 years) I have asked about any deals they have for HBO, they offer the 3 free months of Cinemax. There are a few of the HBO original shows that I like so I will add HBO for a few months then drop it till the next one comes on that I care to watch.