1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you call to cancel your service, CANCEL!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by johnhjohn, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhjohn

johnhjohn Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    A couple of weeks ago after loosing my job, we called directv to cancel our service. We have been customers for 10 years, and are on month to month.

When we talked to the cancel guy, he talked us into going with the "family plan", for 40 dollars a month, which is the over the air channels with some religious channels. The agent also added a 50 dollar credit to "help us out".

After using the service for three weeks, we discovered that we were paying 40 dollars a month for service that we could get free.

We called tonight to cancel. We were then told that we would have to pay back the 50 dollar credit. When we asked to speak with a supervisor, we were told that the "system was down" and we would have to call back later.

This is a scam.

Just wanted to let others know that if you want to cancel your service because of your financial status, please do not agree to the directv scam that they offer you. Do not agree to switch to some other plan.

We are going to call back tomorrow, and hope we can cancel, without having to pay back the "credit" as we are in dire financial straits.

Hope this helps others to keep from being scammed.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    For what its worth, the SELECT package has all the good stuff in it for just a bit more than Family. Its about 1/2 the price of the Choice Extra package, but it is only good if you are a Standard Def customer, since Choice + free HD is about the same price.

As for the $50 credit, you will not get it back. You will get a credit back for the two weeks left on your current months bill (unless you were past due). Since DirecTv is prepaid, if they applied the $50 credit prior to your paying for the current months service, you will be required to pay a prorated amount equal to the service you have used in the current billing cycle.

You can also suspend your account (turn it off) for 6 months, while you regroup in the financial department. The credit, however, will probably not carry over unless it has already been applied.

3. Wicked

Wicked Mentor

Oct 29, 2005
    If you receive a $ credit from *D and cancel before 60 days you have o pay it back...

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    You have to "pay" the $50 credit back, but you get a credit for the service you didn't use. I don't see where the scam comes into play here. The credit applies to future bills, not past ones. You have to pay for the service you already used. The only outcome I see here is that instead of paying whatever your bill was on the day you originally called to cancel, you have to pay for one more weeks' worth of service now (which if it was the family plan, can't be all that much)

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Perhaps a misunderstanding but not a scam.

I agree, though, with the title of this thread.

6. scorpion43

scorpion43 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 16, 2011
    they did the same thing to me
    i called to cancel they offered to give me 3 months of free programing
    after 3 months i canceled and the wanted me to pay back the 3 free months.
    told them to pound sand and signed up with dish

7. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    did they ever try to charge your CC for those 3 months or otherwise collect?

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Being a long term customer the OP should have suspended his account rather then cancel. Would have given him months to regroup and reorganize.

9. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    Did the CSR mention that to the OP?

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Ok, first sorry about your job situation, but come on, how are you blaming DTV for this?

You: Hi, I lost my job and want to cancel DTV since I can't afford it anymore
    DTV: Sure thing buddy, but before we do, I can offer you a special package for $40/month
    You: (Without thinking) THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! I'll take it!!
    You: (3 weeks later) wait a sec... $40/month is still too much and half these channels are available for free!

How is that a scam? You took the offer without researching what you were going to get. Sure, it was a waste of money offer, I won't argue with that part... but in the future, you need to research a bit more before pulling the trigger on purchases especially when you are in dire financial straits as you put it.

As for having to pay back the credit, duh... whats to stop people from getting credits and then cancelling the next day?

They do the same thing on premium channels, you cancel within x days and there is a penalty. Thats to prevent you from activating premiums for one day at a time here and there just to watch a single show.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Since the member cancelled his account with D* almost 6 months ago, I doubt he'll be back to answer any questions.

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    $40 for "family"? That's ridiculous. It used to be $30.

A TiVo with an outside (over the air) antenna is a better deal than "family" which includes nothing but worthless channels. I had "family" for awhile and gave up on it after realizing I was paying for what cable gives you with their "lifeline" service for $10-15 a month.

13. mikellie

mikellie Cool Member

Mar 5, 2009
    They will get you one way or another. You have to watch them.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Family is $29.99 but add in a DVR and a second TV you're at $42.99.

15. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Why can't you let dead posts lie in peace?

16. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    He'll be back, they always come back. Greener pastures.

17. Raiders 2011

Raiders 2011 New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Agreed. There isn't a better service out. They always come back. Personally I'd suspend my service, regroup, and then upgrade...

18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yeah, as much as I would like to argue that there is, there really isn't :D. Pretty much every service is roughly the same price or more. Honestly though, if $40/month is going to make or break you, you've got much bigger issues then DirecTV. The best advice to give to the OP is to handle that first.

19. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Exactly.

They are down and dirty.

20. Rasterburn

Rasterburn Cool Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Wow this is not a scam at all. First of all, Family costs $29.99 for 60 channels (locals plus family programming basically if you have kids 13 yr olds or younger). the only way it could be $40 is if you had HD services added for $10. And no, its not the same as over the air chs with religious chs, thats rediculous. Last time i checked you can only get locals over air free, not religious channels let alone Headline news, Disney, Boomerang, food network, etc. Next, the $50 credit was given to you as you said "to help you out" meaning you didnt pay the $40 you said you had to. and of course you would pay it back. Directv was paying your bill to give you a break for one month, they werent paying you to cancel. It's common sense.

Now you said you called on 05/18/11. Which was a Wednesday. You said you have been a customer for 10 yrs so you should know by now that Directv usually has updates every Sunday and Wednesday night from 10-11pm est for the last 5yrs. So if you are on the west coast and it was after 7-8pm then of course they were updating their system and it was down.

Lastly, I am sorry if you asked for a supervisor you should have gotten one. I have called them on nights like those and still got one eventhough the system was not accessable.

But once again this is not a scam, this is somewhat misinfo on directv and on you as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.