1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you have a plasma TV and a HR-20...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by crankin, May 19, 2007.

What screen format do you use?

1. Pillar Box

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stretch

37 vote(s)
    49.3%
  3. Crop

38 vote(s)
    50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crankin

crankin Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    ...do you use pillar box, stretch, or crop? Due to concerns over burn-in, I do not use the pillar boxes. And since crop makes everything look blurry, I use stretch. I really don't like any of the options. My older HD receiver (a Samsung) had other options that stretched only parts of the screen that minimized the bad effects (like making everyone look fat). Anyways I'm just curious what others are using.

Edit: In case you are wondering why I limited it to people with plasma TV's, it is because I want to see if anyone uses pillar boxes with a plasma. If you do, does the image ever burn-in?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I use native / stretch...

So in some cases, it results in pillars (SD material on an HD network).

Burn in on a modern plasma is VERY difficult to achive.
    Especially if you use your TV's built in featurs such as orbit mode (or pixel shift), keep the contrast at a modest level.

Plasma do suffere from image retention, looks like burn-in... but it is very different. burn is permanent damage to the display surface. Image rentention, the pixels take a while to discharge/change.

Normally if it is occuring, just throw on a full HD channel for about 5 minutes, and you should be fine.

Nearly 4 years with my plasma now... video games, stretch/pillar, all sorts of content...... no burn in... and no overly protective measures taken.

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    This is going to sound ridiculous, but the burnin problem is the reason I still have my video games hooked up to my standard-def CRT.

I have a Dreamcast, which I don't think would be a problem ... and I have an Intellivision, which might be.

Has anyone used an 'older' video machine -- i.e. Atari, Intellivision, Coleco -- with their Plasma? The reason I say it may be a problem is because in those older games, a lot of images were static. Take, for example, Intellivision Baseball (which by the way is probably the BEST baseball game ever written.)

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    PS1 and The Atari 2600 "re-release" all in one console has been on the system. My Son's Leapstear/video hook in has been on it...

Crappy cheap Karaokee all in one mic system as well.

Still not a hint of burn in.

5. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I generally use stretch for 4x3 content (using my TV's stretch mode, not the HR20's) but 4x3 content on a HD channel still, of course, is in pillar mode. As Earl says, modern plasmas are no more susceptible to burn-in than a CRT.

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    As Earl said, image retention is not the same as burn-in and watching HD programming will clear up any residual signs within a short time. Supposedly the use of grey instead of black for the pillar box setting reduces the effect (although the black pillar boxes added by the HD stations when broadcasting SD material won't be affected). I really don't like the distortion caused by stretch or loss of part of the picture with crop. When watching a letter-boxed SD broadcast I will occasionally use crop, which still seems to trim off a bit of the picture, but it is minimal.

7. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Bob & Earl are correct.

A modern plasma will show some IR, but you really have to abuse one to cause burn-in. Especially after 1000 hours or so of use, watch the set the way you want and don't worry about burn-in.

Early in the life of the set, try to keep viewing with pillars somewhat limited, and use gray instead of black pillars.

I've got a couple of plasmas with many, many hours of use. I generally watch SD sports in 4:3 w/ pillars, but use the "Just" mode (Panny's terminology) to watch most other SD stuff stretched.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Same for me. Native, Stretch, 480p, 720p and 1080i. When I know a program is going to be 4:3, I record the SD channel so my display can do an anamorphic stretch, instead of the HR20's linear stretch.

And because my display (like most recent ones) has a picture size "memory" for each input resolution, it doesn't require any action to enable the right mode. Very friendly set-up for non-technical family members, IMO. /s

9. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    The dreaded time to decay factor. The first time this happened to me I practically craped my pants.

I, like Earl, use stretch with 720p locked. I prefer to utilize all of my "horizontal real estate" even if it makes everyone look fat. :)

10. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    That's a really good question. I had a tech out to fix my TV and he politely scolded me for using pillars.

I use gray pillars. I watch alot of baseball and can't stand to see images that have been strectched or zoomed. Seems to take alot less time to recover when watching HD than using black pillars.

11. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    I agree i loved intelevision baseball, and Dungeons and Dragons also on the intellevision

12. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    native/stretch also

13. Just J

Just J Crivens!

Oct 11, 2006
    I use the 720 Pillar Box (gray) for 4:3 programs, and for letterbox programs where I really care about picture quality. I use 720 Crop for letterbox programs where picture quality is not as important. I've been running the TV (Panasonic 42" Plasma) this way since I got it 4 years ago or so, with no hint of burn in.

I never use stretch as the distortion is not worth getting rid of the bars.

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    From frequenting the AVS Forum, I know that Panny's and other display's based on Panny glass (like the Fujitsu 50") are virtually immune to burn-in/IR issues. I believe NEC and Pioneer displays, among others) are a bit more susceptible to IR (not burn-in, however, for the more recent models). Even on those, as previously stated, IR is easily remedied by "washing" the screen with a white display pattern or regular full-screen programming. I've got two 42" Panny's and one 50" Fujitsu, and I've never had a problem, even watching pillar-boxed material or the static HR10-250 menus. /s

15. crankin

crankin Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    I have a Pioneer plasma... it's about three years old.

Also, what is native mode?

16. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    When you have Native ON the HR20 will change the resolution to display what the channel is being broad casted in.

17. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    I voted Stretch because I've been scared to view my Sony Plasma for burn in....you guys have talked me off the ledge regarding burn-in...I"m taking the leap....hate stretch, but didn't want the burn.

Thanks!

18. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    I have a Pioneer 5071 - the latest plasmas are much less susceptible to burn-in than the old days - and with the amount of HD content now available, I'm really not worried about it. I hate stretch/crop - I use pillar box (when I'm forced to watch SD!)

19. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Normally pillar box, grey. Sometimes stretch. Depends on what I'm watching.

Samsung Plasma 4273.

Carl

20. crankin

crankin Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    So what's the advantage to native mode? Why not use 1080i all the time?

I have a Pioneer PDP-4340, which is about three years old... is that considered a "modern plasma" that is less susceptible to burn-in?

Heh, that made me laugh, only because I felt the same way the first time I experienced image retention from the life bar from a video game. I thought it was burn-in and was so pissed but then after playing a full-screen DVD for a while it went away. I can laugh about it now :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.