1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a total mess!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Eroic, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Eroic

Eroic New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this through.

Ok, I've been at these forums for so long that I barely know what my problem is anymore. I never thought I had a problem with my network before, thought myself to be fairly proficient actually. Could get a file from here to there, watch a torrented flick or whatever. Then everything changed.

It all started when we had directv installed last week. I had an HR24-500, an H23-600, and a D12-700 installed. I quickly came to the realization that the D-12 was garbage and called. They sent me an HR21-100. We then realized that we needed a new TV, bought a Samsung un40c7000 that can be networked as well and realized, that when I sat down to plan out a way to get everything working properly, that I was way in over my head. I've literally sat in front of this computer for 8 hours now, and have come to 0 decisions, my wife is pissed, and I'm sitting in front of all my old routers and adapters, feeling weak and dumb. For brevities sake, I'm just gonna list everything I've got. If someone could just throw me a bone at this point and tell me what to do with all this stuff, I'd really appreciate it. I know a thing or two about light software hacks, but never heard or had a need for things like DD WRT or Tomato or whatever. I can't just wire the house as much as I'd like to, nor can I really spend too much cash, as the tv kinda set me back a few weeks. I think I could have a pretty nice setup, but I'm just too overwhelmed to put it together.

My main router is a virgin wrt160n v1, hooked up to cablevisions sbv5120 modem. I also have an older (possibly dying) 1tb WD10000D03 hooked up that I honestly can't remember what I did to. I believe I installed media tomb or some other UPnP, but it could have been firefly which is mt-daapd. I'll check into it if anyone thinks it's useful, but I think the last time I ssh'd into it (2 years?), it said there was a failing drive. That may have been a result of the hack though, as it's been playing songs on my windows machines ever since.

Basement has the H23-600 that was installed by the guy with a DECA1MR0, that I shamefully haven't researched yet. My 360 is down there, I also use a macbookpro to record music. I have 3 older computers down there that I use for emulation and bs, if that's of any use.

My Living room has the HR24, a ps3, the new Samsung (which do I even need to network?) and that's also usually where I keep my dell vostro 1700 that I usually use for downloading but have found that it seams to stream to the dvrs the best. I'm sorry I don't post the specs at this time, but I will if anyone needs it.

My bedroom has the HR21-100 which is NOT hooked up to my network yet (and probably should be my biggest priority?), there's also a wii in there.

I can also use my old WRT54G v3, I have an old gaming adapter WGA54G v1, hell I even spent an hour looking up that old hack for the xbox mn-740 to see if it'd be helpful... I know I'm probably forgetting a ton of stuff, but it's nearly 4, and I can't see straight anymore

I could really use some help to optimize all of this stuff, and get some kind of cohesive network, but I don't even know where to start. Thanks again if you've made it this far.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    With the Whole Home installation, you don't need to run any ethernet cables to the DirecTV receivers. The coax line becomes a network all its own. Then there is an adapter that connects that network to the internet through your existing ethernet switch. I'll now let other get into the details for you.

A reason to get the TV connected to the internet is for the the apps that Samsung provides. I have the UN45C6500 and can watch Netflix videos, YouTube, etc. Their is even an internet radio app.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    After a quick read you need a DECA module on the Bedroom HR and a Deca module (or Cinema Connection Kit) connected to your router. That will get all your D* HRs on the network and MRV working.

I'd put dd-wrt on the router and pull cable to the TV location with a small switch there.
    I'd also put dd-wrt on the wrt54g and use it in a non-router mode just for the switch ports and B/G wireless for things like the Wii. Just daisy chain from your router to a switch port (don't use the WAN port) and turn off DHCP on it.

Pull Cat 5 or 6 cable where you can and use wireless for anything else.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    There have been some here that with the correct splitters and DECA modules, have connected their other ethernet enabled equipment to the DECA network. Again, I'll let others jump in for that discussion.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You can use green label splitters and additional Deca modules to put some non-HR devices on the DECA 'cloud' -- and you can even put a small switch on the ethernet pigtail and add additional devices to the switch (along with the H/HR devices).

But both of these methods could quickly put you in the 'unsupported' mode if the installer shows up. And some devices could interfere with MRV between H/HRs that requires a higher bandwith to stream the video.

If you can pull a cat5 / 6, save yourself the trouble. If not, realize you'll be supporting it yourself.