1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I'm a total newbie and need advice/ help from the experts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bamajas13, Sep 11, 2013.

1. bamajas13

bamajas13 New Member

Sep 11, 2013
    I have been using a standard def Directv dish and receiver for tailgating for years. I can align that dish no problem and quickly. I just bought a directv sl3 hd dish and I have an H23 hd receiver. I need advice/help to align the dish. I don't need it perfect just good enough for the day at my tailgate. Any hints or links would most appreciated.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The only needs you didn't mention are a 2" OD tripod and a 21 volt Power Inserter.

Alignment is not something you can just get "close enough" on. It will take practice and ongoing patience if you're serious about receiving the HD channels.

Use http://www.dishpointer.com to figure out what the settings should be BEFORE you leave and set the azimuth and elevation at home. In this way, you can level the tripod and spin the dish to get things started with dialing it in.

There's a very specific reason the Slimline has adjusting screws on it: bumping it back and forth won't get it.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    TS said SL3, so it appears os not SWM

4. bamajas13

bamajas13 New Member

Sep 11, 2013
    I went with the non swm so I wouldn't have to carry the extra power inverter. I have the tripod and mast.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Remember, no B Band Converter (BBC) for an H23 on legacy.

Just in case you may have attached one.

6. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    One of the more common errors on setting up a slimline dish is getting the initial elevation setting done correctly. The elevation should be set so that the red line on the inner side of the elevation bracket lines up with the elevation markings on the outside of the bracket. If you are using the side of the inner elevation bracket you will be way off. (Unfortunately, I know this from experience.)

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    One of the more common errors on setting up a slimline dish is getting the initial elevation setting done correctly. The elevation should be set so that the red line on the inner side of the elevation bracket lines up with the elevation markings on the outside of the bracket. If you are using the side of the inner elevation bracket you will be way off. (Unfortunately, I know this from experience.)
    The "red" line is sometimes white as well

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk