1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm back with Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Gilitar, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Gilitar

Gilitar Legend

Jul 31, 2004
    I'm back with Dish after a brief 18 month period with Directv and boy am I glad to be back. I got the new hopper with sling and two joeys. The new receivers are great! There is no comparison between the two! Dish's prices and equipment are better. Also, having Sirius/XM is nice for poolside music. :)

2. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Welcome Home.:welcome_s:)

3. ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Thats funny, and I'm about to cancel DISH.
    You mentioned xm/sirius?
    That done via dish???
    I'm about just grab a Roku and watch my programming that way.
    Roku 3 reviews look excellent.
    http://huludeals.com/the-new-roku/

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yes, Sirius/XM has been with Dish for many years but only the music channels. Not the entire Sirius lineup.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    :wave: I'm sure you'll be missed.

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002

Roku is great, I had have one for a long time. It's not in anyway a replacement for Dish (or Direct, etc) it's an alternative. Some of what you might watch on Dish is available, but not necessarily free. But if it's just some entertainment you want and need to cut costs, it's a very nice unit.
    And yes, Dish has the Sirius/XM music channels available on the receiver.

7. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I have a Roku with a Netflix and HuluPlus accounts and find it a great addition to my viewing needs. Plus, you no longer need those pricey premium channels which helps keep the old Dish bill more reasonable.

8. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    I also have the Roku with Netflix, it is not the Roku that is cool, it is Netflix. Everything else on Roku is simply stuff you can stream on any computer, and it is junk, and there are some channels that do cost money. As someone else said, it is a good addition to DISH, but solely, you will struggle to find the great choices and offerings that DISH provides.

9. ilike2eattacos

ilike2eattacos New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Actually, you are incorrect.. the Roku 3 is amazing and very cool.
    It's got some cool features. (headphone..) the damn thing connects faster than any other roku i've ever used. Good reviews too.

10. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    I'd say dlt summed it up well. Some junk and a lot of things you could get without a Roku. It does have things that would or could be otherwise hard to find. The box itself is good but when I see someone say it can replace premiums it just doesn't. Just about any of the movies most which is often older could be watched without a Roku. What the Roku does is organize things and does a good job of it. It also is good way to watch HBOGO for instance but you could do it with a tablet computer or smartphone too. But you won't get anything seen on HBO or Showtime for instance unless you pay for it and even then you will get only some episodes of some HBO shows unless you subscribe via Satellite or Cable.

11. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    But with a Roku you don't have to deal with the severely bad DISH EPG and misfiring timers. You get what you want when you want it and all of it.

12. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    There are some some really good Swedish, Danish, and French TV programs on Netflix that are just as good, if not better, than the the premiums.

13. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    Ya, that's what I want when I get home from work, some of that good Swedish or French programming, not Boardwalk Empire, Games of Thrones or a good Boxing fight. You actually helped to make my point - it's an alternative and in no way a replacement. :)