1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I'm getting repeated fraud calls from a company who claims to be Dishnetwork

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by unr1, Jun 11, 2013.

1. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    Today I finally decided to do something about it.

The number came from 1-800-830-9729
    I've seen it from different numbers too.
    The representative claimed to give me a 6 month pay 6 month free deal.
    He said his name was Harry Jackson
    He said his rep ID number was 7R1

He knew my exact bill total (after taxes) to the cent!

I just got off the phone with dish to complain. They literally told me to file a police report and they can't do anything about it.
    Maybe I should chage my number on the dish account.

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    We have a 'twerp' named Brandon going door to door in my area. He will switch you to Dish if you're on Direct, and he'll put you on Direct if you're on Dish.

His crew isn't real sharp about install quality, and they seem to prefer older clients, and then won't spend any time showing them how their new remote works.

Sad to say, but the industry is acquiring some pretty scuzzy operators.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    IF it is an authorized Dish retailer/reseller making those calls, then I think Dish would want to get involved to stop that...

IF, however, it is a straight-up scammer not affiliated with Dish... then you probably would have to report it to the police as Dish wouldn't have any leverage over an outright scammer.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH may want to get involved to see what the scam is. A few years ago they were battling professional hackers and thieves who would either sell FTA equipment hacked to get a DISH signal (until the hack fails) or receivers on a stacked account (one account with multiple receivers in different locations). A non-savvy buyer may not know what their receiver should look like or that their receivers are part of a larger account that DISH will eventually shut down.

Common scams are to get the money and run ... so the seller wants a lot of cash up front for setting up the customer and then they disappear - leaving DISH to explain the con.

The common rule of thumb applies ... if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

I don't know why DISH would not want to know more about a particular scammer ... perhaps they are overwhelmed by the number of scammers out there. It is a situation of buyer beware. If you can't find the deal you're being offered at the official DISH website ( http://dish.com/ ) be VERY wary. The better the deal the more likely it is that the deal is a fraud.

5. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    If you haven't, you should try to get up the food chain at DISH. At least a supervisor. Maybe an email to the CEO's office or ask to speak to the general counsels office. Someone there cares about this even if a CSR doesn't. You just have to find them. I'd file the police report but understand if the calls come from outside the area the local police won't be able to do much. Also, the fact that they have yout account information is of great concern. Could be someone inside the company is working with them.

6. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    This is nothing new, there's always scammers calling pretending to be legitimate companies, Not just Dish side but from every tv provider offering you "sweet deals" just so you can take the bait, It's the bait and switch method, The rule of thumb is if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. If you're not sure is legitimate then call Dish directly and ask about the call you received.

7. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    Got another call today.
    From 1-800-790-2641

So they keep changing their number.

Very frustarting.

8. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    Funny, because when I google that number people are complaining that they were calling from AAA asking to renew membership.

Maybe Obama can find out who is behind this. You know, since the NSA knows about everyones calls already.

9. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    lol, sweet. Tried calling dish about it and right after the automated message said "Please hold for the next customer service representitive" I got a dial tone.
    I'm not gonna even bother calling back considering last time they told me they can't do shit and to call the cops.

10. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If I was you I would go ahead and call the President of the United States of America because like you said they already know all your calls anyway.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Let's not take a legitimate problem down the political rabbit hole. Nothing about this topic warrants political discussion, so please stay on topic.

Thanks!

12. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
    Quite possibly they are spoofing the number you see on caller ID.