1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

I'm getting the premium movie channels for free

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tladle, Feb 20, 2014.

1. tladle

tladle Mentor

Mar 3, 2007
    I had a two month free movie channels (SHO, HBO, STZ) promo added to my account in November after doing a Mover's reconnection. The promo ended in December but I just realized I still have the channels available to watch. I reviewed my programming on the website and the movie packages are not listed as they previously had been during the promo.

I cannot access HBO or SHO iPad apps and receive a "you are not subscribed to this channel" error.

My guess is that the package dropped off and something went wrong (or wasn't sent at all) in sending that information from DirecTV to my receivers.

As long as I don't re-authorize the receivers my guess is that the channels will stay...

Has anybody else experienced something like this?

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    And you are announcing this in a public forum, why?

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    ot necessarily the case. The receivers reauthorize with the mothership "every so often"

4. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    I think you will lose them sooner than later.

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    Are you sure your not being billed for them buddy??

6. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    That happened to me but it wasn't premiums but playboy TV, reauthorized and rebooted, still there ever since I subbed in December.
    I really wished it was the premium channels.

7. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    That is similar to what happened to me, I got all movie channels free for 2 months deal last year but it lasted at least an extra month before they went away. They never showed up on my bill at all and I was not charged for the extra month. Enjoy it while you can, it won't last forever.

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That may explain it, as I never heard of 2 free moths, but rather 3 free months

9. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Existing customers can get all premiums free for 2 months right now, it does indeed exist. Others have posted they received it in Anyone call DirecTV and reduce their bill? Share stats here! thread. I personally know a relative with D* that recently received it as well.

Line item will show as the following:
    HBO STARZ SHOWTIME CMAX SPORTS $0.00 2 Months Free

10. tladle

tladle Mentor

Mar 3, 2007
    This is what my bill showed for two months, but it dropped off my last bill.

11. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Hmm interesting, and I think you said that you tried (on the iPad) HBO Go, Max Go, Showtime Anytime, Starz and Encore Play and none of those worked? Curious, are you able to watch any VOD content on an HDDVR from any of the premiums?

12. tladle

tladle Mentor

Mar 3, 2007
    Tried HBO Go, Max Go and Showtime Anytime and did not work. Did not try Starz or Encore apps. I am able to watch VOD from the premium channels.

13. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I never tried the mobile apps but during my free months of premium channels I was able to use the VOD for them just fine.