1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm hearing voices, well actually a voice.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rta53, Mar 28, 2012.

1. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    Ok this is really strange. Last night I was watching NCIS LA which I had recorded last week I believe. About halfway through the program I noticed the sound changed. Almost sounded like an echo or reverb. I didn't think anything of it until a few seconds later when I started hearing a voice that was not coming from the actors. It was like an additional audio track like you can hear on a dvd such as a director's commentary. The voice would say things like "Callen lowers his eyes slowly". Or when 2 of the agents were confronting some bad guys she would say "the agents spot another gangster in the kitchen and one of them shoots him in the chest". This went on for the remainder of the show. At one point the commentator even referred to agent Hanna as the "bald agent". By the end of the show it was getting rather annoying. Anyone ever heard of or experienced this before?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sounds like descriptive audio service on the secondary audio program. Many use SAP for Spanish language (causing many to think the S stands for Spanish), but some use it for descriptions for use by the visually impaired.

3. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    That's what I suspected. I wonder if it's just a glitch or did I do something to cause it?

4. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    Did you record the show? I would be curious to see if changing settings would give you different results.

EDIT = Sorry I should have read closer. I see you recorded it.

5. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I can get CBS OTA from my local affiliate in Raleigh, NC and from the affiliate in Greensboro, NC. I noticed the descriptive audio track on the Greensboro channel, but not on the Raleigh channel, and only on NCIS LA (although I do not watch the Greensboro station that often). I have not heard it on anything I have received from DirecTV, but I have not tried switching to the secondary audio. I wonder if some CBS affiliates broadcast the descriptive track on the primary audio either by mistake or on purpose.

6. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    That's very interesting. I am in the Greensboro DMA. My guess is it's just a mistake since it started part way through the show.

BTW, I grew up north of Wake County and we always watched Ch 5. I could even get Ch. 5 here in Alamance county while it was still analog. Not so with digital. I actually wish I could switch to the Raleigh DMA do I could get WRAL.

7. LORETTA

LORETTA Cool Member

Sep 16, 2007

It sounds like one of the transmissions designed for customers who are blind.

8. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I am from Kentucky, but I have lived in Cary since 1978. I have trouble getting WRAL since the switch to digital, and I am only 17 miles from their tower. Interestingly, I can get WRAZ (Fox 50), which is broadcast from the same tower as WRAL with no problem. WRAL is on RF frequency 48 and WRAZ is on RF frequency 49. I still do not know why I can get one but not the other. I can often get WFMY (virtual channel 2, RF channel 51) better than I get WRAL off the air even though WFMY is nearly three times as far away and is coming from the back side of my antenna.

I preferred WNCT (channel 9) from Greenville as my CBS source, though, because they actually broadcast the SEC basketball games. WRAL and WFMY pre-empt the national CBS games to show the regional broadcast of the ACC games (and then the national broadcast of the ACC games on ESPN is blacked out for us). Unfortunatelly, since the switch to digital, I can no longer receive WNCT.

9. Apr 3, 2012 #9 of 13
    jlangleyrn

jlangleyrn Cool Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Wow its a NC grouping in here. I live in Greenville and before switching to DIRECTV, I was able to watch WRAL and absolutely loved their news, while WNCT is no where near as good for the news. I can understand the desire to watch the games on WNCT, but otherwise I wish I could change my viewing to WRAL.

10. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    WTVD (ABC 11) news is better than either. Except for NCIS, NCIS LA, and the SEC basketball and football games, we never watch WRAL.

11. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    You must not have ever watched Ch 2 then. :)

12. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Only for NCIS or NCIS LA if I am watching OTA and 2 comes in better than 5. Like 5, 2 preempts the SEC games for the ACC games. Given their contempt for the SEC, I was somewhat surprised that they did not preempt the NCAA championship game last night ;)

13. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    On some of my recordings (NCIS, NCIS LA) I do occasionally hear the descriptive audio, but usually only for a second or two...