1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm impressed...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H21 Discussion' started by Capmeister, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I have the H21 in my home office, so it's what I use most of the time when I'm not watching something the HR20 recorded in the living room. I really have had ALMOST no problems with it, and everything is pretty smooth (other than the CC problems that the HR20 has as well). I just find myself having little to say about this unit. :)

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Now that it gets my local SD channels, and the H20-100 CE with SWM is so flaky, my H21 has moved to my mother's TV. At 83 she is as close to a "normal" user as I can find. :lol:
    This box is ready for release. I would still like the one button guide, but that isn't a holdup for release.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    White GUI and one button guide would be the finishing touches on an otherwise solid performer for me.

Carl

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I really haven't had any problems to post about lately. I've connected via HDMI and component/RCA without issue.

For what it was designed to do it's performing well.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'd still like to see the white GUI on the box before it rolls along with one button guide, keep the number of user interface changes done post GA. I also think they need to change the population of the sat signal test screen from zero to -- since on the 99/103 test it take so long to test each transponder folks may think they have zero readings when they've just not waited long enough.

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The only problems I have had so far is the SD local channels which has been fixed and during the last software update I lost all even transponders for about 6 hours. The same thing happened the same night while downloading a CE update on all 3 of my HR20's. All 4 receiver's are connected to my SWM8. Other then that I have not had any problems at all.

Like already said in a few post above I would like to see the white GUI and one press guide added before the unit is released to the public so if there is any problems they can be fixed. Also it would be a little less confusing to the average customer.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Just weird / quirky bugs on my end, most of which have been fixed already. It's nice to have another HD box that doesn't have the super crop bug like my HR20 still does (hint hint ) :lol:

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I can add the H20-100 to the super crop list also. [and one of the reasons I had to swap my H20 with my H21]

9. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I don't think we are ready yet.

We still need this thing on the Network! I am waiting on that in particular, not to mention the expeted change to new GUI and one button push for guide option.

Did I mention DLNA?

EDIT
    So D*
    Knock our socks off with the full implementaion that is planned for the network and turn this on. Let's see MRV, VOD, and video clips via PC, and networked devices. Lets see it ALL!

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    So no one has seen super crop on H21 yet? That would be great news!

11. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I don't use crop, so I doubt I've seen it. I leave it all at normal 16x9 pillar box.

12. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I prefer the white GUI and one button guide push as well. But isn't that considered more of a user preference. The box seems to be stable. I don't think they would hold back release in large part becuase of those two items.

Just my worthless .02

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Same here. I've actually felt bad that I haven't had much to report because any time I use the H21 it just plain works.

I'm sure the white GUI and one button guide is coming at some point since it's being rolled out to all current receiver models.

14. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Same for me. I want to see the White GUI but it is not in the published feature set and so is not needed to ship the unit.

Arguably the manual does say in multiple places that if you press the Guide button, you will go to the Guide and that is not corrected yet. But I would not delay release over that issue.

The box and manual do not say anything about networking. At some point I know that they will add those features and many more but they are not in the published feature set for release.

I do not feel that we should ask for anything more than the published feature set in order to release the H21 for shipping.

The H21 does what the manual says it can do and does it well.

In a couple of weeks, DIRECTV is going to need every possible HD box they can ship.

Regardless, the H21 is ready for prime time. Right now. We are using it almost every day.

Wrap it up. I'll take it!

- Craig

15. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005

Yea.... the networking would be/is a key part i admit. But we may be waiting awhile for all of that. :p

16. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Yea, I don't expect to see it either. May not ever get it if you don't ask! :D

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think that this may be the biggest tell tale sign of all .. It may very well be that the H21 comes out sooner rather than later because of the need for HD.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    ...and I'd say that's the reason that we all are still testing it, instead of the trials being declared "done" and us moving over to some sort of other Cutting Edge Echelon fun and games.

19. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    It's been pretty quiet in here so I'm guessing that silence is as good as a :up: to the staff working on this project. I know we're supposed to be "normal" testing but if there's anything we can do - specifically... :)

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    zzzzzzzzzzzz
    [oops this isn't the chat room].:lol: