1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in mourning tonight...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Lamutt, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    At 3:05 this afternoon, the only radio station that I've listened to in the last 6 1/2 years died. Actually, they didn't die...just got bought out. There was no warning that the change was coming. In fact, they cut things off in the middle of a song!

I've been listening to The Hawk (KKHK 99.5 FM) since the moment it went live on the air back in 1996. I've met all of the DJ's, and consider 2 of them to be good personal friends, as my wife and I have had dinner with them several times over the years.

Financially, The Hawk has been very good to me over the years. My wife and I won a trip to London with them back in 1998. I've got probably 30 cds and 15 dvds that I've won through them over the years. And $1200 in cash through various contests, not to mention most of the concerts that I've gone to over the last 6 years. We got to sit front row center for Don Henley and Hootie and the Blowfish thanks to The Hawk.

I called the studio line at about 3:30 and talked to the afternoon DJ (who happens to be one of the 2 that are close friends), Dan Mitchell. He sounded pretty shell shocked - makes me think that the station management didn't inform the on air staff of the upcoming changes. At least Dan was there, although he indicated that none of them have any idea if they are going to have jobs tomorrow. I hope they do. They are a bunch of good people that deserve better than this.

Musically, the new format isn't really that different from the old one. Still classic rock, just a little softer. But, that's not the point. The music is only half of the equation. The people that you listen to day in and day out are the other half, and frankly, in my opinion the more important half. You see, I've been listening to Dan Mitchell for the last 24 years across 3 different stations. Another of the DJs that I don't know so well, I've been listening to for more than 15 years over a couple of different stations. These are the people that I want to hear during the day.

I listened to The Hawk from 6 in the morning to at least 6 at night 5 days a week for the last 6.5 years. I've had the opportunity to be an Arbitron surveyee twice in this period, and my rating points have reflected this. Arbitron is the ratings board for radio, like the Nielsons are for tv.

A wonderful part of my life ended today at 3:05 pm. There isn't another station in town that I'm willing to listen to, so I guess I'll be heading to Sirius or XM here soon, assuming that I can get a base unit for my office that can be used. If not, I can always listen to The Vault streaming over the net. The Hawk it's not...but it's better than dead air. RIP Hawk...you went too young. :crying:

2. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Similar situation 2 years ago for me, I used to love Buffalos newest country station (WNUC- 107.7 The Bullet), the morning crew was great and the the DJs had a great personality. But then Adelphia goes and buys them out and turns the station into mono sports talk station, fires all the current staff and the call letters changed. :rolleyes: :mad: I share your pain Mark

3. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Satellite Radio is the only way around it, just like with DBS. Especially if your tastes are "Out of region". I just wish I could get all my favorite talk shows on one channel or more channels.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Must have been one helluva shock, on par with finding out your mother isn't. I am sorry for your loss.

As a former on-air DJ and jack-leg engineer, I understood that an unfamiliar face walking through the station door wearing a shiny suit, genuine alligator shoes and a carrying a briefcase was probably bad news.

A word of advice, Mark. Don't get too attached to satellite radio.

Nick :smoking:

5. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    If it takes off. When I get my new card next month, I'm making sure it has satellite radio, but I'm not really encouraged by the growth numbers :(

6. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Ain't that the truth. I estimate that I had listened to The Hawk for between 16,000 and 17,000 hours while they were on, or 708 total days of the 2375 days they were on the air.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Mark, by any chance do you manifest obsessive-compulsive tendencies? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Nickster :smoking:

8. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Oh probably...:lol:

I listen to the radio 10 hours a day, 5 days a week (at least) while I work. That's how the numbers are so large. Oh well...life goes on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.