1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im new here w/a new just installed this morn hd system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tvtech3, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvtech3

tvtech3 Cool Member

Oct 6, 2005
    So what i have is a h20-100 hd receiver and just a standard dtv receiver.
    What i need to know is, is i have a friend who has two, new in box h20-?? dvr,s, if i buy one from him @ $125 can i call dtv up and say i want to shut off the standard receiver that was installed this morn and replace it with this new dvr?
    Will they do that or wil they just want to add it as another receiver?:confused:

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The model is actually HR20-700 or -100.

If they are leased units (probably are) you will not be able to activate them. Also if they are leased units and if he turns them off he has to return them to DirecTV.

3. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    They may let you swap it out, but you might be required to purchase a new smart card to marry to the HR20 you bought and want to swap with. It could cost as much as $85, and you have to wait until they ship it to you.

They will send you a return kit for the unit they installed today if you are not going to use it. Make sure when FedEx comes with the return kit, that you package it up, and call the toll free FedEx number to have them pick it up for return to DirecTV, inside the return kit will be a shipping label to attach, that has your tracking number. You can verify it was returned after pickup online.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Hi, tvtech3!

Did your friend get the H20s from Best Buy or a store like that? Has he ever activated them?

If he's activated them, the short answer is no you can't do that.

If they're completely new in box, you might have something there, you can deactivate the standard receiver if you call them, they will ask for it back. Call 1-800-DIRECTV and be honest with what you want to do, and have all the hardware nearby if they have questions.

5. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Also do not forget the HR DVR will require another line from the dish.

6. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    You can buy all the H20's you want from DIRECTV for $99 each. He is ripping you off.

But why wouldn't you want an HD DVR like an HR20?

You will hate yourself for getting a non-DVR receiver.

- Craig

7. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    You can do it with one cable and only use one tuner but why lose half of your tuners?

- Craig

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    But if you have an OTA attached (to an HR20, obviously) you don't lose both OTA tuners, just one satellite one.

9. SeattleSteve

SeattleSteve Cool Member

Oct 5, 2007
    If it were me and the system were just installed this morning, I would play dumb, call D*, and say "Hey, what's up? My system was just installed this morning and I can't figure out how to get it to record something. I thought I was supposed to get a recorder! Can you please send me the correct unit?"

They probably won't do it for free, but you might wind up getting a good deal if they think they messed up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.