1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm thinking of switching from cable...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TogasPoon, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TogasPoon

TogasPoon AllStar

May 23, 2007
    I’ve been thinking of switching for years now but haven’t for a variety of reason. My cable is currently out and won’t be back up until Saturday which prompted the wife to tell me to switch. Here is what I’m wondering…

I currently have 2 HD DVR’s and 1 HD receiver, I’d like that same setup at a minimum but might want to go ahead and get 3 DVR’s.

I understand I have to buy the equipment up front, what can I expect to pay for 3 HR 20’s and will I then own the equipment or will I be leasing from D*?
    Will I need an external antenna for local channels in HD? If yes, will I be able to record those channels?

It sounds like I also have to make a 2 year commitment to D*, can I cancel early on if for some reason I’m not happy with the new setup?

Thanks,
    TP

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    For the 3 HDDVRs... Probably $99 for the first, $199 for the other two.
    But you won't know for sure until you call.

They are all leases, unless you want to pay $800 each.

I believe Minneapolis has the core locals active in HD now, all the SD's are there. If you want some of the others that are not yet on SAT.... then you would need an antenna, and yes you will be able to record them.

Yes you can cancel early on, and pay a prorated $300 for the 2 years, minues $12.50 per month you complete.

3. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    You will probably pay for atleast (2) HR20's you may be able to get them to give you one, but they will all be leases. Now you do have to sign the commitment but it goes fast I have been with them 11 years already. Now as far as locals go. Go to their website put your zip and and find out if HD locals are available in your area right now. If not you'll have to use an antenna for right now, but atleast its uncompressed. I have (3) hr20's my self and will never go back to cable ever. I wouldn't watch tv before that happens. If you switch get the protection plan added it's woth every penny. It can save hundreds of dollars.

4. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I bet you can get a pretty good deal coming from cable

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I understand one big difference is in billing, even though you pay up front for the DVR's, you only pay for DVR service for your entire household, $5.99 per month covers from 1 DVR to as many as you want, no additional fee. Can add up to a fair savings in two years time.

6. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    I would leverage the fact that you "really want" to switch, but don't "really want" to have to pay for equipment you now get for free from cable. Be nice, be sincere, and be willing to try more than one CSR to get whay you "really want".

7. papa_azteca

papa_azteca Legend

Jan 11, 2007
    I think it would depend on what cable company you have may determine the deal from the agent you speak with. Yes, the upfront costs are what is different between cable and D* but it depends what you want you pay.

For example, the Boston Glode on 08/11/07 had an article stating that Comcast and Verzion were increasing their prices on their HDDVRs from $9.95 to $12.95 and $12.99 to $15.99, respectfully. They also quoted a local cable company, RCN, currently at $17.95 for HD DVR. Although I am assuming these rates are for the newspaper area, I would think that other markets may see the same type of price increase. Here is the link to the article http://www.boston.com/business/pers...st_verizon_raising_prices_for_hd_dvr_service/

What's my point?

Comcast
    3 HD DVRs @ $12.95 * 24 months = $935.28

Verizon
    3 HD DVRs @ $15.99 * 24 months = $1151.28

RCN
    3 HD DVRs @ $17.95 * 24 months = $1292.40

D*
    1 HD DVR @ $0.00 * 24 months = $0.00
    2 HD DVRs @ $4.99 * 24 months = $239.52
    1 HD DVR upfront = $99
    2 HD DVRs @ $199 ea = $398
    Total over 24 month period = $736.52

You may need to increase the $732.52 by $143.76 for the DVR service for 24 months but this is an account fee and may be included in the package you select. They all lease receivers; one just charges differently than the other. Also, this does not include programming charges; these is just for the receivers you need to view programming.

8. TogasPoon

TogasPoon AllStar

May 23, 2007
    I just got off the phone with them.

They wouldn't give me 3 HD receivers to begin with. She said she would give me 2 HD DVR's for 500 (299 * 2 less 100 instant savings). Then they would give me a SD receiver which I could swap out once I was set up??? Not sure what the reasoning is behind that.

Maybe I'll try a different CSR later.

Thanks for all the replies.
    TP

One more question: I don't have a land line, is that going to be a problem?

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    TogasPoon,

Though I see from your sign up date yuou've been around a while, on the occasion of your first post I will start by saying
    Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

WCCO (4), KSTP (5), KMSP (9) and KARE (11) are all carried in HD on satellite. WFTC (29) and channel 23 (KTMA?) are not carried by the satellite in HD (they are in SD), so you would need an antenna to pick up the HD feeds for those. The HR20 is able to record those OTA HD channels.

I don't believe there is a free trial period (or at the very most, 3 days???). The only real 'out' is if you can't get signal, and they shouldn't even install if that's the case. Once they install and activate the equipment, you are pretty much locked into the two years. As Earl mentioned, the Early Termination Fee starts out at $300 for the entire two-year period, and drops $12.50 each month you complete (so 12 months from now the "buy out" would be $150 for example).

I've had pretty good luck with Premier Communications, who handles the installs in this area. Had a couple of no shows along the way which I pretty much found out about when I called THEM to find out what's going on - I think anywhere you are you pretty much have to keep a tight reign on that aspect. But the installers that did my work were good, competent guys.

Good Luck! I think you're over the biggest hurdle with your wife on board! :)

10. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You do not need a phone line. The CSR's will say you do but you don't. You only need it to order PPV from the remote, CID (caller ID), and the game lounge.

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Not having a land line for the HR20s or receivers should not be a problem. That just means to order PPVs you would either need to call DirecTV to order, or order on-line (the much better option).

Ya, what BMoreRavens said!

12. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Lack of a land line typically is not a problem. You will not be able to order PPV via your remote control, but you still can via the website or phone (phone costs extra.)

Cheers,
    Tom

13. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You can also order PPV on-line.

14. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    keep trying on the equipment. Being a new customer they should eventually cut you some sort of deal. Id say $100 off on EACH wouldnt be out of the question.
    I got them to give me one a few months after i signed up, but it took many calls.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would definitely keep trying with them, I'm surprised you couldn't get all HD receivers.

16. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Yea keep trying they will give you one. They just did for a friend of mine here. You should get that but after that they are usually $199.

17. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Wow. If you don't mind my asking, which cable co. is that?

18. FreeBaGeL

FreeBaGeL AllStar

Aug 12, 2006
    To clear a couple things up.

The prices people are posting for the HD DVRs in this thread are incorrect. It will be $199 for the FIRST one, and $299 for each of the other two (not 99/199) so roughly $800 total. These are leases.

Secondly, don't waste your time trying to haggle to get that price knocked off, they won't do it. I've talked to probably every new sales rep D* has at this point and they've all said that even if they wanted to do it, there is literally no way possible for them to put it in the system.

I am going to try calling retention even as someone trying to sign up as a new cust, it might be worth a longshot for you too, but outside of that there's absolutely zero budge on the price of the HR20 upfront.

Good luck!

19. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    They actually will from time to time. they may be cutting back on equipment deals but it has been done. I got it for free as have several of my friends. The net is littered with these stories. I had several CSR's that told me it couldnt be done, but patience paid off and it was, just depends on the person that you talk to.

20. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Disagree completely about haggling on the price.

People on here have given stories on knock downs on multiple ones including 1 being free and the other being cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.