1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improvised reception of International bird

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by VHS or Beta, Aug 5, 2008.

1. VHS or Beta

VHS or Beta AllStar

Feb 22, 2008
    Is there any way to pick up the 95W satellite from New Jersey with an old 18" dish?

The reason I ask is my wife would like to subscribe to the Mandarin language package for a month while her family is visiting. If I call DirecTV to install their international dish though, it would require an annual commitment to an International package. No good.

I have a 5-LNB slim dish on my roof now and an old 18-inch round dish in storage. I also have a 20-inch ExpressVu dish on my roof that currently picks up 82 and 91. Just wondering if I can do anything with any of this on a DIY basis, enough to pick up some of the channels for a short time even if it's not perfect.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nope. The Galaxy3C bird at 95W requires both a bigger dish [ hence the 36" worldirect dish ] and a special LNB since the signal is lower powered .

Plus none of the D* channels on that bird are free. Well one or two are when you subscribe to a international package.

There are some free channels on Galaxy 25 at 99W but those require the same 36" dish and a FTA box.

3. VHS or Beta

VHS or Beta AllStar

Feb 22, 2008
    I don't need them to be free -- I'm willing to pay for a month, which I think I'd be allowed to do as long as I can pick up the signal. It's just if I get DirecTV to install a World Dish for me, it will come with a one year commitment, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Sounds like I'm out of luck though, bummer. Thanks for the reply.

4. dkouz

dkouz AllStar

May 5, 2007
    You could buy the correct dish.

5. VHS or Beta

VHS or Beta AllStar

Feb 22, 2008
    I did look into that after making my initial post, but that would still cost me well over $100 for the dish, multiswitch and installation hardware...plus paying someone to install it for me if I'm not in a DIY mood...just to get a $20 package for a couple weeks.

I decided it's not worth it. But I discovered I can pick up the Jadeworld package for a month since that one uses the regular DirecTV satellite and includes a couple of Mandarin channels. Good enough for the in-laws, that's what I say. :D

6. ironwood

ironwood Icon

Sep 20, 2007
    By the end of the year or sooner they might move international channels to one of regular satellites and then you will be able to get them with your 5-lnb dish.

7. Birdman79

Birdman79 Legend

Apr 7, 2007
    crossing my fingers...:)

8. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    I've heard that too. Have yet to see any of them change though.
    Jadeworld comes off of the 119, I'd run with that for a few weeks and see if thats good enough.