1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iN DEMAND plans to offer 9 HD channels will D* step up and go all games in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JoeTheDragon, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 6, 2011 #1 of 25
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    iN DEMAND plans to offer 9 HD channels (maybe 18) will D* step up and go all games in HD?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339225

Still seems to have the MLB and NHL overlap and the 9 HD channels may still have HD bandwidth shared with NHL, MLS, NBA, and MLB.

Now D* can say all games in HD or at least most of them. They need to add the Canada HD and WGN 9 HD for NHL and NBA (not all wgn NBA games are on WGN america). I don't know if In demand has OTA HD to feed out but they do have at least have the 4 rogers channels HD + CBC HD. for D* Wgn 9 HD is on the Canada sats and has a good number of NHL games on it.

2. Jun 6, 2011 #2 of 25
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Sure would be nice. If they get the Canadian NHL games in HD I will be one happy camper, especially with one more canadian team next year.

3. Jun 6, 2011 #3 of 25
    stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    It is our best chance to get the HD feeds from Canada. SR said it was a business decision that we did not receive them. Cost and no competitive reason to do so. Cost has not changed yet, but if they sense some competitive pressure, then we could get them next year.

4. Jun 6, 2011 #4 of 25
    fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    canada HD! yeah, probably not. a boy(who is an oilers fan) can dream though.

was very excited about the manitoba yet to be named team returning but half of me cursed the fact that there would be yet another team from the great white north not in HD.

D*'s presentation of sports is still godlike compared to Fios...Fios is not mpeg4 so i'm not sure if the above extra HD will be shown by them...we shall see...

5. Jun 6, 2011 #5 of 25
    georule

georule Hall Of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    It's not competition unless someone actually carries them. When last I looked, Comcast wasn't, and didn't have the room, even on upgraded World of More systems.

6. Jun 6, 2011 #6 of 25
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sounds to me like this is just for cable subscribers that weren't able to get all of the games in HD before, they only had 1 or 2 feeds, where those of us with D* were getting the HD feeds because D* already carries them. Sounds like they'll be carrying more of the RSN HD feeds.

7. Jun 6, 2011 #7 of 25
    JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    but thesis will be part time HD channels and it may come down that comacst or other cable co's can make more $ / get in to sports bars at the cost of some VOD HD slots.

8. Jun 6, 2011 #8 of 25
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Considering NFL Sunday Ticket drives the sports bar business, I don't think you'll see much of that. Cable and DISH have a tough time competing in the sports bar realm because it's too hit or miss with games for their customers. A number of bars will carry basic cable and supplement with DIRECTV for everything else.

9. Jun 6, 2011 #9 of 25
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    Agreed. During the winter season there are basically three sports, NHL, NBA, and NFL, and the summer is of course all about MLB and to a lesser extend about MLS. If you want to do good business as a sportsbar, your carrier - whether cable, dish or different - simply HAS to carry all 5 of those.

MLS.... you might still do good business without that, but MLS is gaining popularity quickly.

Combine this with the EUFA channels, and the "specials" they run with things like the Masters, US Open, French Open, Australian Open, etc.... there is just no doubt:

A sportsbar would be foolish if they switch from DirecTV to something else. And since the contract with NFL is locked down till 2015, you won't see any changes till then. DirecTV paid a LOT of money for that contract, and they probably made it back already.

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    And for those not keeping score, here is the reason Directv has all those sports.

11. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Good move on their part. If cable was ever my only option and the local company offered the 9 HD channels I'd consider getting EI, CI, or LP instead of the internet counterpart.

12. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    it may even be 18 9 game and 9 team at the same time but what cable system has the room for 18 part time HD channels?.

Rogers super sports pack has more but some are remaps.

13. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    The fact that I cant get HD sports on Cable is the main reason I'm sticking with DirecTV. If Midcontinent ever offers an NHL/MLB package with an HD component that competes with DirecTV I'll consider switching.

14. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    I saw this news earlier and got excited thinking maybe I can go FIOS for both TV and internet, but then I realized, even assuming FIOS picks up all the feeds from inDemand:

1.) 9 NHLCI HD feeds aren't enough to insure that I get every Sharks game in HD with the Sharks feed. This season I saw nearly every Sharks game that was released to NHL CI (so of course not counting games on Versus and NHL Network) with the Sharks feed. This is a dealbreaker right there.

2.) I'd be REALLY upset to not see a Sharks feed for a playoff game that I otherwise would because of MLB EI feeds.

3.) Even a BIGGER dealbreaker than #1: the whole home DVR solution for FIOS sucks, it's the same as Cable: you can only have one DVR server and multiple clients that aren't DVR's. Sorry, but I gotta have multiple dual tuner HD-DVR's on a whole home system.

Point is, won't switch unless finances were to ever force me too after my contract expires this end of Nov 2011.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Probably still won't be enough to match DirecTV's offering. They have a lot more than 9 channels of HD games running very often.

16. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    all playoff games are on national tv out of market in the first round, so there wont be an issue with centre ice anymore.

and you guys are dreaming if you think directtv is going to pay money that they dont have to pay to add canadian hd feeds.

17. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    No cable companies are distributing channels via MPEG4 to their customers today. Only DirecTV, Dish, and U-verse are.

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That doesn't stop Dish Network dealers from flat out lying about the sports they carry in order to try and get business from sports bars. I just don't understand why they do it, since the subscriber will quickly realize that it's all BS as soon as they try to watch a game.

19. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    shaw cable has it right now they have NHL Centre Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket
    in MPEG 4 HD.

Comcast has it for ESPN3D.

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I knew about Comcast (brain fart) but I didn't know about Shaw.