1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

In Line Amplifier!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by EasternNC, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasternNC

EasternNC New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    How do you know if you need an in line amplifier?? Is it always mandatory when your cable run exceeds 100ft??? Where would you install an amp? halfway or in the middle of the cable run or next to the dish or inside house behind TV??

I was just curious.

2. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    I would think near the tv, since that is where the amplification was needed.

3. Larry G

Larry G Godfather

Apr 13, 2006
    Here's some info from the AT9 (MPEG4 HD) dish installation manual. I hope it helps:)
    " For installations where the ... cable runs from the receiver(s) to the LNB far exceeds 100' (150' or more) ... you need to use an AC power booster module to bias the LNB."
    "You will also need an additional RF signal amplifier to compensate the signal amplitude loss."

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    An in line amp is rarely needed unless your runs exceed a couple of hundred feet. I have run over 400 feet without needing an amp, although that is not recommended.

If you do use one, you want to place it as close to the antenna/dish as possible. The point is to amplify the good signal. By placing it at the tv, you are dealing with the already weaker signal and are amplifying the noise.

Also, if you need to boost the dc voltage (as noted by Larry G), then that voltage boost needs to be placed where the device can (a) properly detect the voltage levels coming from the receiver, and (b) supply the dish with the proper voltages. Depending on the length of the run, that might be closer to the middle as opposed to one end or the other.

Carl

5. Phil Olson

Phil Olson New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    I may be about 200 feet out with my dish. Where can I find a suitable power booster and in line amp? Can I use any old amp as long as the booster is between it and the dish?

Thanks,
    Phil

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Phil Olson: I would suggest first trying a hookup without using the additional equipment. Only go to the extra stuff if you have problems. At 200 feet, you should be okay.

I have not personally used an amplifier, so am not able to recommend one. As far as boosting the DC feeds to the dish, a powered multiswitch will do that just fine. Depending on what dish you have will determine at least in part what multiswitch you need.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.