1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Line signal amplifier question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Mike Kilduff, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Mike Kilduff

Mike Kilduff Cool Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Hey guys,

I have a run from sat about 140 feet give or take a few to receiver and thinking of buying one of these amplifiers just incase as I'm doing a pole mount underground line run, and just thinking of all possibilities now rather than later.

At what point in line is it best to hook these babies up? I would like to do the run -sat to ground block(grounded of course) then ground block to amplifier -then about a 59 foot cable run to the receiver. Hows this sound? They are pretty affordable so may just order one, is there any down side?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    No need for an amp for those distances. Did 275 without amps.

3. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The biggest problem with long runs is not a loss of signal, but a drop in the voltage that the tuners supply to the LNB. If you have problems (which you shouldn't at 140 feet), you might try a powered multiswitch or a locker. If you are using a SWM8 or SWM LNB, then you should have no issues at all. PI to SWM-LNB can officially be 150 feet and SWM to tuners is an additional 150 feet.

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    As the others have said, that distance should be no issue.

Just make sure to use solid copper core RG6 or better cable.