1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Memoriam: U.S. Armed Forces 1776 - 2009

Discussion in 'The OT' started by LarryFlowers, May 25, 2009.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Lest we forget.. this holiday today is brought to you courtesy of the brave men and women of our armed forces.

Stationed around the globe, they are the wall that lets us have a worry free barbeque with our families today.

Never forget that they are there... and if you know someone who has a son, a daughter, a husband, a wife serving somewhere around this planet... remember to say thank you once in a while... maybe invite them to your barbeque.

These service men and women have something a little better than the rest of us.. they put our lives ahead of their own.

Remember..

Larry

2. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Amen.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Remember!

[​IMG]

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    +1, emphatically! I've had several friends and relatives pay the ultimate sacrifice over the years.

Charlie

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Each year on Sunday we take time to watch the annual National Memorial Day Concert on PBS and on Memorial Day rewatch this documentary

[​IMG]
    Available from Amazon

in rememberance of my wife's sister:

[​IMG]

It isn't enough, but we do what we can.

6. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    Thanks to my father who served a tour in Vietnam (67-68). Thankfully for me he returned safe, or I wouldn't exist.

7. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Absolutely. My dad was a Coast Guard vet and I am an Army vet.:flag:

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    My reserve unit deployed to Iraq without me (as I was pregnant) and returned minus 2. God bless them, their families and God Bless the USA.

Please check out The Wounded Warrior Project, Operation Shoebox and Pinups for Vets.

And thank you to all who have served and to their families for sharing their heroes with us.

9. Simmerman

Simmerman AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    I would like to add my thanks and gratitiude to all of the military personnel throughout the world both past and present.

S

10. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks Larry! For those that understand the real meaning of this day will understand when I say, I opened a bottle of Patron about noon, swigged to John Campisi and Joe Khuenleh two folks I remember who lost their lives during their tours of duty and whom I call my friends, and served together. Love you guys! Thanks for your time on this earth you served your country well! Salu! <sniff>

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Mr. Bartender!

A round for the house,
    for all service men and women,
    whether in uniform or civvies,
    for all, present and past,
    accounted for, and dearly departed,
    and one more thing, please, Mr. Bartender --
    -- put all that on my tab!

Hooyaa! :goodjob:

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess I should post my semi-annual rant on how holidays and memorials have been lost over the years...

Memorial Day = Time to remember and think about those who have given their lives for this country.

Veterans Day = Time to celebrate those who have been willing to put their lives on the line for this country by serving in the armed forces, and have been fortunate enough to return to us.

Besides seeing too many people miss the meaning of these days and have picnics and days off work without actually thinking about the real meaning... I find myself this year feeling a little weird when I hear people say "Happy Memorial Day".

Really?

Ok, I don't think we should have to be morose and depressed... Far from it. We can be celebratory and thankful in remembrance of those who have given their lives... but when I hear someone say "Happy Memorial Day" like they would say "Happy Halloween"... it makes me cringe.

So I don't march in a parade, or have a cookout party... but I usually talk with family about the meaning of the day and do take some time to think about how I am here because others are not. Later this year I will similarly think about those who survived to take part in that which they defended.

Meanwhile, in passing it is worth a mention that we don't have to limit ourselves to thinking about these people once or twice a year. It doesn't hurt to think and talk about them whenever the mood strikes you.

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I fully agree.

Wishing someone a "Happy Memorial Day" is inappropriate at best and downright disrespectful at worst. Memorial Day is about remembering all those who have fallen in the service and defense of America. Saying 'HMD' is like wishing your aunt a 'happy' whatever on the anniversary of your uncle's passing.

We need to come up with a new greeting, a better phrase to say for Memorial Day. Any ideas? To paraphrase Kelsey Grammer on the tv sitcom, 'Frasier'...

"I'm listening..."

14. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    While I appreciate your perspective, I think it is incumbent upon us to set the example, and to tolerantly remind those who may not know, what these days are and why. While I agree these two holidays have been akin to a circus for most, for me and my family they are very serious events. I must add though, we do also do a bar b que, but we also remember our brothers and sisters, in the way we spiritedly enjoyed each other, with a few shots and a prayer!

15. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Man I just got back from DC! You can't imagine the power over this past week. Thanks to all of the men and women serving this country. My father fought in 2 wars for us and my uncle too. Again...........THANK YOU

16. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same here, my dad did 2 tours in Vietnam, if he didn't come back I wouldn't be here either.

God bless.

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    For the record, it's not that I'm against the barbecues :) There's just a distinct difference between a party and a memorial. I sadly suspect that for a creeping-towards-the-majority Memorial Day is just the "first weekend of summer" gathering for hot dogs and burgers and the swimming pool.

It's a lot like having a wake or a celebration of someone who just died. You can absolutely do that and be festive in your remembrance... but if your neighbors just decide to have a party that same day, not in honor of anything, it seems tacky.

Anyway... yeah, I don't know what you'd say to someone on Memorial Day as a greeting. Maybe this is one of those days where you don't need a greeting. Just a knowing glance or nod might convey the sentiment better.

18. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    FWIW, I wished the mother of my best friend who was killed in Iraq 6 years ago a "peaceful" Memorial Day.

19. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    If you put this into further perspective it may indicate why Memorial Day is becoming nothing more than the first weekend holiday before summer begins. At anyone time our military force has been significantly reduced (this is a good thing) as it drops in number there is less of an impact on the American society as a whole. This will present itself with gaps in true connection with the holiday for an increasing number of folks. It is to me somewhat understandable. I don't make a big deal out of it though, but if asked by say a neighbor I will interject why I do what I do and provide my own clear meaning, and impression, that to me this was a serious holiday and I tell them of whom I am remembering and how I (mourn) celebrate in their honor, being greatful for their sacrafice(s). :)

20. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    My dad served in the US Army during WWII, and I was brought up to be patriotic. I'll never forget this work attributed to Billy Rose, which I recited for a Memorial Day assembly while I was in 8th grade.

The Unknown Soldier

There's a grave right near the White House
    Where the Unknown Soldier lies
    And the flowers there are sprinkled
    With the tears of mothers' eyes.

I stood there not so long ao
    With roses for the grave
    When suddenly I thought I heard
    A voice speak from the grave.

"I am the Unknown Soldier"
    The spirit voice began,
    "And I think I've got a right