1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dataz722, Oct 29, 2011.

1. dataz722

dataz722 Cool Member

Jan 30, 2008
    I need a SWM dish. I just called Dtv and they said it would be $200 to have them upgrade me to the whole home dvr and that would be included. Is there any other way other than paying that much? I have been with them for 6 years. Any possibility of them lowering the price?

If not does anyone have any rough idea what an installer would charge to come out and install one if I purchased the dish myself?

Thanks.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If your receivers and DVRS are all HR24, H24, or H25's, you can get the SWM lnb from Solid Signal. If you will require DECA modules for older units, then you probably should let DirecTv do it. Call back and try to get a better price.

3. dataz722

dataz722 Cool Member

Jan 30, 2008
    I have two HDdvr boxes that I think are HR24's but also two old SD boxes too (one dvr and one basic). I am looking to get the swm to hook up the two SD boxes in rooms that are currently inaccessible to a run from the basement.

4. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    What model are the sd receivers you have ?

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The SD boxes may or may not even work with SWM, depending on their age. If they do not, then you would need to upgrade the boxes, or buy an SWM8 multiswitch.

6. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    If you have been with DIRECTV for more than 6 years, then it may be likely that you have receivers that would not even function on SWM.

If you have any other receiver than D12, R16, R22, H2x, HR2x, then the receiver will not function on SWM. DIRECTV Whole Home upgrade should come included with the necessary exchanges.

7. dataz722

dataz722 Cool Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Ok, I checked and it is an HR21, HR22, and R15. The standard SD box is packed up but I am sure it probably won't work.

So in other words paying the $200 really is my best bet? I don't even know if it would be worth it for that since we are only going to be in this house probably less than 6 more months.

Thanks for the help.

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you are moving in 6 months, wait and try to get it free from the movers connection.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You're right, the R15 won't work, wold need to be an R16. Getting whole home, they'd put an R16 in, but it still won't work with whole home, just SWM compatible.