1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In San Francisco, Dean calls GOP 'a white Christian party'

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 8, 2005 #1 of 100
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From SF Gate:

In S.F., Dean calls GOP 'a white Christian party'

Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean, unapologetic in the face of recent criticism that he has been too tough on his political opposition, said in San Francisco this week that Republicans are "a pretty monolithic party. They all behave the same. They all look the same. It's pretty much a white Christian party."

"The Republicans are not very friendly to different kinds of people," Dean said Monday, responding to a question about diversity during a forum with minority leaders and journalists. "We're more welcoming to different folks, because that's the type of people we are. But that's not enough. We do have to deliver on things: jobs and housing and business opportunities."

FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Jun 8, 2005 #2 of 100
    SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    This is why the Democratic party is in trouble. In a time when Americans are begging for both parties to dial down the partisan rhetoric, the Democrats put one of the most vocal partisans in the country in charge of their message.

The GOP is going to win big in the coming midterm elections and it will have very little to do with what they are doing right, and much more to do with what the Dems are doing incredibly wrong.

3. Jun 8, 2005 #3 of 100
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I think you're right, Mike.

Now if we could only get the Reps to do things right. :(

4. Jun 8, 2005 #4 of 100
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    What respect I had for Dean is being lost with all these diatribes. Imagine if someone called the Democrats the "redneck Baptist" party..

5. Jun 8, 2005 #5 of 100
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Dean is a symptom of Dem party problems--that they have no ideas. Feels very much like the GOP of right before (and soon after) Newt. It's why Kerry lost--same reason Dole lost to Clinton. Saying "vote for us because we're not them" works with your base, and no one else.

6. Jun 8, 2005 #6 of 100
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From SF Gate:

Dean Defends Criticism of Republican Party

Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean on Wednesday defended his recent harsh criticism of Republicans, including his observation that they are "pretty much a white, Christian party."

Dean noted that he, too, is a white Christian. But he said the GOP is too narrow in its scope and the Democratic Party is far more diverse.

While even prominent Democrats in recent days have distanced themselves from some of his comments, the outspoken Dean, appearing on NBC"s "Today" show, said criticism of him is meant by Republicans to divert attention from the country's problems and make him the issue instead.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

7. Jun 8, 2005 #7 of 100
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    It would appear that if that is the case that the Dems selected the wrong person to be party head.

8. Jun 8, 2005 #8 of 100
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm not sure that the chairman of the DNC is the "party head." I think if you asked most people "who's the chairman of the Democratic National Committee?" they're look at you like you'd just asked them the square root of pi to the 300,000th decimal place.

Remember that what is watched by partisans and people interested in politics often means NOTHING come election time to the mass of voters. Kerry didn't lose, for instance, because his wife said weird things, or because he didn't sign some form that released navy records. He lost because he didn't give an alternative to Bush other than to say "I won't be as bad as Bush!" and because he didn't articulate anything other than an ability to be on all sides of an issue.

By the same token, it's why this Tom Delay stuff is meaningless. No one really knows who he is, or cares. Hell, he's not even Speaker of the House. He's just a party leader. Partisans think all this matters--it does not.

9. Jun 8, 2005 #9 of 100
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Cap, I agree with you. Obviously the posters who think Deans statements assure the defeat of all Democrats forever are not going to even consider voting Democrat. They want confirmation that they are right, and that the other side has no hope. They can only see that people are unhappy with the statements of a Democrat. However, they cannot see how unhappy the same people are with a lot of things Republicans are saying and doing (and not doing). Polls show that the majority of Americans are unhappy with BOTH sides, and wish they would stop playing petty partisan politics and do something positive. The majority of Americans are pleased with the recent compromise in the Senate and would like to see more compromise. That is how they think things should work. Partisans don't like the compromise (partisans on BOTH sides) and only want total victory and total defeat for the other side.

10. Jun 8, 2005 #10 of 100
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    "Cap, I agree with you."

::faints::

11. Jun 8, 2005 #11 of 100
    Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Mr. Dean forgot the 40% Hispanic vote that Bush got last time. But hey, their Christians too, so f' em.

I can't say that I've heard that Asian, Hispanics, Middle Easterners have been overwhelmingly on the Democrat's side. Can he really claim to have them as locked down as blacks are to the Democrats?

12. Jun 8, 2005 #12 of 100
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    He's not saying anything about who voted, he's talking about who runs the party and the country. That is white Christians.

Is any statement made by any politician 100% accurate and truthful? :lol:

13. Jun 8, 2005 #13 of 100
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yup - that's right. That's why the Reps appointed not just the first ONE, but the first TWO black Secretarys of State.

Feel free to go back over the last 20-30 years and count the number of high-level administration officials that were "minorities". I did once and found that like most things, the Dems talk the talk but do NOT walk the walk.

Oh - and do that for the party leaders on both sides, too. Pot, kettle, NOT black.

14. Jun 8, 2005 #14 of 100
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Like Ken Melman?
    David Frum?
    Brad Blakeman
    Elliot Abrams?
    Josh Bolten?
    Michael Chertoff?

Hmmm... none of them seem to be Christians.

15. Jun 8, 2005 #15 of 100
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    The problem with the Dems having this kook as the head of the party is that he is ultimately the guy in charge of fund raising and, to this point, he is not doing a good job of that and is, from what I have read lately, offending many of the former larger contributors to the party. Fund raising is down since he moved in, way down. Members of his own party are even taking offense to what he is saying. Of course, i consider this to be a geat cause for celebration.

16. Jun 8, 2005 #16 of 100
    SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    My question is, what is wrong with white Christians?

17. Jun 8, 2005 #17 of 100
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    And, an excellent question it is.

18. Jun 8, 2005 #18 of 100
    BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    What really irks me about Dean's comments are that he wants people including me to feel bad about being White, Christian and Republican, as if we should feel guilty. This is another veiled attack by the Left on White Europeans who settled our nation.

The Left are loathsome, elitists who want everyone else to share in their guilty feelings. Next, Dean will be telling us we owe reparations to anyone who's not White, Christian and Republican. Well, I for one am not sorry and will not be suckered into this type of defeatist ideology.

19. Jun 9, 2005 #19 of 100
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It doesn't matter who gets nominated, nobody gets nominated, no legislation gets introduced, no agenda is put in place until white Christians approve. That's the power.

You guys are in your own little world, like most partisans. You will absolutely not admit there is a thing wrong with your party. There are numerous articles out there commenting on how white Christians, the Religious Right, is running the country. Articles in religious journals and in the popular press, written by liberals, moderates and conservatives. You guys are the only ones who have never heard of such a thing.

My God, I'm writing this looking at BuckeyeChris's rant about how this is an attack by the Left on White Europeans who settled our nation. In another thread we read about how awful Europeans are. I have news for you, it wasn't just white Europeans who settled this country.

Go ahead Richard, celebrate. Because there is no way you can recognize how disillusioned the majority of Americans are becoming with both parties, but in particular with the Republican party, because you are the ones in power. What Dean is saying is resonating with the 49% who have been told ever since last November to sit down and shut up because they lost, that the party with 51% deserves to run the country with absolutely no opposition. Those 49% are now being joined by many of the moderates who voted for Bush because they felt it was the lesser of 2 evils. They are now rethinking their position. It doesn't matter what Dean is saying now. He is doing what he does best, stirring things up. It shows the poverty of your party and its ideas that you have to keep dredging up "the scream" when the portrayal of it in a dead silent room is a total misrepresentation.

Your parties cry to the 49% to sit down and shut up may seem to be working, to you. After all, today you drove off another moderate who is tired of the constant chorus of "sit down and shut up" that greats anyone with a moderate to liberal voice around here. So it may seem to you that the message is getting through, that the 49% are sitting down and shutting up. But they aren't. They are just going someplace else, where their voice is allowed to be heard. By my count at least 4 or 5 longtime posters that were here at the beginning of the year aren't anymore, or post significantly less. One was kicked off after continually being baited, and rather than deal with the baiters effectively, finally the baitee was banned. It doesn't help when the moderators help in the baiting.

I don't know myself how much longer I will still post here. For a long time the conservatives were the definite majority, and then for a while we had a good mix. Now we are back to almost total domination of conservatives. Its just not fun when everything you say is totally drowned out, no matter what the facts are. You guys don't care what the facts are, you don't care about any one else's opinion, you know it all, and your minds are made up. Probably I should just leave, and then you can just all agree with each other without interruption.

God help America if people who think like you stay in control for very long.

20. Jun 9, 2005 #20 of 100
    SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    As opposed to Bogy, our own "holier than thou" who never gets caught up in partisan politics. The true independant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.