1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Indianapolis 500 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by fluffybear, May 26, 2013.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have not watched an IRL race for several years and after watching the end of the Indianapolis 500 today, I remember why? Even one attempt at a GREEN-WHITE-CHECKER would have been better than finishing the race under caution ( & going only the advertised distance).
    ABC's crack announcing staff did not disappoint when it came to putting me to sleep (one reason I don't tend to watch the second half off the NASCAR Sprint Cup season).

Edit:14 races have ended under caution (7 for rain) in the last 70 years but ending what was generally considered a good hard fought race (nearly 70 lead changes and 13 different leaders) under caution was In my opinion an insult to the viewers and drivers both..

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Is it still a spoiler if I thought the race was Tomorrow.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I think a lot of people tend to make that mistake.

As I understand it, up until 1970 the race had been scheduled for Memorial Day (proper), May 30 regardless what day it fell on. 1971 and 1972, the race was held on Saturday and in 1973 the race was scheduled for Memorial Day but instead was 2 days later due to rain. The race moved to the Sunday prior to Memorial Day in 1974 and has run there since (with the exception of 3 rain outs).

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A spoiler was the CNN News Alert I received earlier today ... which really wasn't a problem.

The beginning of the NASCAR race also announced the Indy 500 winner.

I might watch the race later. :)

5. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    the indy race was pretty much boring, especially ending under caution. but i'm happy for the winner!

6. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    TK winning it finally was good for me. Finishing on a stupid caution though really took away from how good a race it was up until then. I try to watch IndyCar races every weekend they race and I never finish them. I finished the Indy 500 though. I always finish that one. Every time someone bumps a wall they go to caution and sit behind the pace car for 10 laps. Some wrecks I understand that debris is on the track and you should slow down. Justifiable. How long does it take to clean something up though? I get bored and change the channel.