1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indications an install may be difficult...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Tisby, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    You ask if the address is visible from the road, the answer:

"No, we're back in the hollow. Third house in..." Except 'hollow' is pronounced 'hollar'...

You get out of the van and the first thing you hear is:
    "Don't pet the dog; she was just in the creek. That's why she can't come in the house." 'Creek' is pronounced 'crick.' The house is a trailer falling off its cinder blocks. WTF is in the creek that the dog can't go in the trailer falling off its cinder blocks?!?

Actually, the customer had removed the skirting in the key areas and already predrilled holes for me. Piece of cake. Turns out the creek is crazy dirty and the trailer, despite no stable foundation, was cleaner than my house.

First impressions aren't always correct!

2. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Grasshopper, you have much to learn!

Mobile homes are quick money. They pay exactly the same as the tract mansions where you will be asked to park on the street, wear booties over your shoes and hide the dish under the shrubbery.

So don't spike any dishes to dead cars....when the price of scrap goes up they get moved. Use a drill for holes...hammers just wake up neighbors.
    Don't use the toilet or even go in the bathroom...weak floors from poor aim.
    The TP management will not let you attach anything to the units but trees can be your friend. Lock your truck as the local kids get out of school.

Joe

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Good indicators of a difficult job:

- 3-5 generations of dishes on the house visible from first glance. Yes, they have cabling already, and, no, not a single piece of it is up to code or useable.

- Single-family home with 11 cars parked in or around the driveway. There will be 2-3 beds in every room of the house and all other wall space covered with chests of drawers, tables, desks, etc. No exterior walls are accessible without 30 minutes of moving furniture. And in these houses, EVERY room needs a new outlet.

- Customer opens the door, and they are wading hip-deep in garbage, dirty clothes, and pet feces. Since I had a tech put in the hospital by one of these houses, I now have a standing policy that all such jobs get canceled, and rejected if recreated and reassigned.

- Customer opens the door and starts asking about prices, insists on reading every word of the contract, etc. I've found with these customers, it's best to drop off the contract and give them the phone number of the sat company, and reschedule them, because half the time they'll want to cancel when you're 90% done with the install, after 2 hours of arguing over prices, commitments, etc. Better to eat your loss up-front than deal with a customer who clearly has deep reservations about the service or chooses to believe that they can get themselves exempt from the rules/costs just because they don't like them. This customer will ALWAYS cause repeat service calls.

- Any job where the last tech did something really, really stupid. One customer wanted to upgrade to HD. Showed up and found the dish mounted on a wall 50' up, and the house had about 5 feet of level ground before it dropped off down a large hill. "How did the tech install that dish the first time?" "Oh, we still had the scaffolding up." :nono2: We did the upgrade by mounting the dish about 10' high. He was really upset that we "wouldn't" remove the old dish...

Some other ones are: tech put the dish on the peak of the roof over the living space and draped all the cables down the roof, when the dish could have easily been mounted elsewhere and much neater cable runs done. Or tech caused major damage of one kind or another due to laziness or sheer stupidity.

4. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    The 1st post is still tops!

5. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

6. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    Three years of this and I'm still amazed... I'll do a Hoarder House if I can get to stuff. If not, I politely tell the customer "Look, we both know there's a problem here. I can't install anything that's going to work reliably. If your situation changes call us back, for now we'll just cancel the order." I love when I get trailers though. This one was just a plus because the customer had drilled the holes & popped the skirt off. My HSP still pays even if the customer cancels before we're done with the install - as long as the paperwork is filled out and signed. I make sure it's signed every time.

And Joe, there was definitely NO management here... :D And when your supervisor calls you and says, "GPS says you're in a lake. You're not in a lake, are you?" You know that nobody is coming to check for a ground block. Put it in, make it work reliably and GET OUT!

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The address you *want* to see on your work order is:

10236 Charing Cross Road, Homby Hills, CA.

The longer the job takes, the better...

:D

8. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009
    "It's the stucco house with the tile roof, behind all the trees."

9. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Here in east Tn. we have some of the most challenging satellite installs in the world.

From creek water and open sewers flowing under the home with the occasional copper head snake or dead cat for added excitement to 3 day long installs with selective tree removal,200 foot cable runs through roots and rocks.

In the rural areas are very old homes with tiny dirt crawl spaces littered with broken Ball mason jars or mobile homes that if you kneel down on the living room floor you will stand up with dog urine on your pants leg.

Not all installs are bad but in any given week you will see three or four bad ones.

10. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    We have that here in NC too. LOL. It's hilarious when it wreaks of urine because of the 38 cats in the single wide trailer. And then she lights a tea candle to try and cover up the smell....