1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information on ETF

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by djc45, Nov 15, 2008.

1. djc45

djc45 New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Hi,
    With the economy the way it is, I really need to save money each month and so need to cancel my Direct TV.
    I know that I`ll need to pay an ETF, I just wondered if someone could give me more information about the charge and how it is charged.
    I am currently on the Premier package with DVR. I will have probably about 10 or 11 months to run on my 2 year contract. Just some questions:

1) Am I correct that the ETF is $20 per month for the remaining number of months, and is charged in full, to the card I have for auto pay, at the time I cancel.

2) Do I need to give a notice period to cancel?

3) If so, do I cancel by phone, or do I need to write a letter, or can I email?

4) When I signed up I chose not to give a SS number, and opted for a deposit instead. Does this change anything about the ETF?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Duncan

2. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008

i would just downgrade to the 29.99 package for whats left of your contract. i have a friend that had the same package as you and did that.. her bill went from about $140 a month down to about $50 bucks a month..:rolleyes:

i have been hearing of some reporting that they have been getting an ETF of around $378.:new_Eyecr

3. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    You may also want to consider suspending your account.

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Indeed, why don't just suspend it for 6 months and see what time brings.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007

Your best bet is to call and ask... explain your situation and they may help you out. If not, reducing to the bare minimum package as suggested is a good idea, in my opinion.

You can do this by phone.

I don't know why the SSN would make a difference...

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Same advice here if you really don't want to get rid of DirecTV. If you can afford the family pack that is only $30 a month, and deactivate all receivers but one to save on mirror fees. May be cheaper to do just that and burn off the commitment then pay the ETF all at once. Plus in the meantime you still get 50 or so channels. Then see where you are at once you've burned off the commitment.

Or suspend your account (no charge) for 6 months and see where you are at. If you're still in money troubles see if you can suspend it again. I've read reports where your commitment still keeps on counting even when suspended but unsure on that one. Could always suspend for 6 months and then call and see how much time you have left on contract and then decide what to do from there.

I had to cut back too but didn't need to cancel. I had Premier but cut all that out and save $40+ a month and then just got Netflix for $8 a month for movies. I've saved quite a bit just doing that.

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I don't remember when the change went into effect, but I am pretty sure that DirecTV no longer lets the commitment run while your account is on suspension.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, I believe that is correct.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think so.
    Phone should work, but get the name and ID number of who you speak with, and make detailed notes about everything that is said. Ask them to make notes on your account, and have them read them back to you.
    I would guess that would apply towards the ETF.
    Some of the other suggestions are good also. Good luck on this issue, and on your financial position going forward.

Carl

9. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

1. newer accounts, that is correct $20.00 per month

2. Cancel requires no less than 3 hours notice

3. Cancel is usually by phone

4. You will not get your deposit back.

5. Suspend will not take any months off you agreement while the account is in suspend. So suspend for 6 months will not use 6 months of agreement time.

10. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    Again, as others have suggested, why not just suspend your account for 6 months? It's financially less painful at this time than any termination fees.

Also you paid a credit activation fee at the onset of your account, for which you should have been receiving a monthly discount. This is not a deposit, and because it's not you will not receive it back if you cancel.

So you lose the rest of your activation fee plus the cancelation fee, that's a huge financial hit for anyone, much less someone in the situation you presented.

Suspend!:)