1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Innocent Plea in DirecTV Piracy Case

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Steve Mehs, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Igor Serebryany, the 19-year-old University of Chicago student accused of stealing details for DirecTV's new conditional access system and then distributing the information on the Internet, pleaded not guilty to the charges in Los Angeles federal court this week.

Serebryany, indicted by a federal grand jury earlier in the month on three felony counts of theft of trade secrets, faces 10 years in prison if convicted of the charges, according to reports. The student allegedly stole the information from a Los Angeles law firm which was doing legal work for DirecTV. At the time, he was working for an outside printing and copying service preparing paperwork for the law office on the satellite TV company's behalf.

The information taken reportedly deals with DirecTV's fourth-generation access system, known as the "P4" card. Earlier in the month, DirecTV officials said the security of its conditional access system was not compromised despite what happened with the stolen information.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)

2. There is something very strange about this case. Igor Serebryany did not receive any money for his efforts and doesn't even have a satellite dish.

3. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    A serious pet peeve of mine....

innocent and not guilty ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!!!!!

It drives me nuts when a journalists says some one plead "innocent". You CANNOT plead innocent in a court of law. The court CANNOT exhonorate you EVER. All they can determine is that there is not enough evidense to prove you are guilty. If there is not enough convincing evidence, you are not guilty. NEVER innocent. These are not legal synonyms.

A close second is "He died by an apparant heart attack". No...if a heart attack killed him it was a very REAL heart attack. "He died, apparantly from a hear attack."

Thanks for the article Steve

See ya
    Tony

4. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Tony,

I couldn't agree more! A person that is found NOT GUILTY is not necessarily innocent of the crime. This guy must believe that the gov't doesn't have enough evidence to convict him. His innocence or guilt is irrelevent. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

5. Mark

Mark Mentor

Jan 13, 2003
    I am innocent!!! Thaat was NOt Me in the camera!!
    It was my EVIL Twin!! yyyyaaa thats the ticket...

6. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Actually, according to law, one IS innocent until proven guilty.

Louisiana may be the only state where this is not true (because of its French heritage of law).

But Tony is quite correct. One does not plead "innocent" before a court of law.

7. BoiseTiVo

BoiseTiVo New Member

Jan 30, 2003

8. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I am surprised that in the days of the DMCA that this happened. The DMCA gives wide and sweeping powers and exemptions, and also makes it a felony to bypass content protection devices. I think his plea of innocent will not really matter as much.

P.S. I think this case is one of the few where the DMCA could be rightfully applied.

9. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    If the government case is true, he clearly saw the information's value and passed it on to the internet. Even though he did not profit or even have a satellite dish does not mean he did not have a reason. He may have wanted to get even with the "big bad corporation". After all it is General Motors, the maker of the internal combustion engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.