1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input signal splitter & multiswitch

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DTV_client, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTV_client

DTV_client New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I'm new here. Could someone help me out with this question ?
    I currently have a 18" Dual LNB with 2x4 (or 3x4 including antenna feed). I used up all 4 outputs with 2 IRDs and 1 Tivo. I would like to add another IRD and a friend of mine gave me an old 2x4 switch. I know I can't split the output feed to the IRD. The question is :
    Can I use a sat splitter and split the input feed from the dual LNB to feed to BOTH 2x4 multiswitches, since 2x4 locks odd and even on its 2 inputs. This is NOT cascading, because both 2x4 multiswitches would receive the same splitted signal simutaneously.
    Thanks.

2. DTV_client

DTV_client New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    If I can, should I use a Sat splitter that passes power on both legs ? Would someone receommend a good one ? Thanks.

3. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    You can split the signal with a high freq. splitter. B/T LPD 2P power passive 2-way
    5-2500 MHz.

4. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I have also seen where people have successfully ran 2 lines from the existing multiswitch to the new multiswitch and then had enough connections for a total of 6 receivers or 3 DVR's. Do not know if this works though for I have never tried it I have just seen where supposdly other have successfully done this.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Yes it does work.:)

6. DTV_client

DTV_client New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Thanks for the answer, Yogi, Mavrick and Boba. After the split, would signal loss be significant that warrants the use of an amplifier ?

7. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Doubtful for I now have a 6 x 8 multiswitch and signal strengths are the same as they were on my old 3 x 4 multiswitch so I cannot see where going though 2 switchs would degrade the signal that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.