1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install DECA without power supply?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TimeZone, Oct 13, 2011.

1. TimeZone

TimeZone New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I have a SWM 5 LNB dish and 4-way splitter with (2) HR24-500 HD-DVR receivers. Can I install the DECA in-line to one receiver to get the internet onto the coax?

I have only really seen diagrams with inserting the DECA on a coax line by itself and connected to the router ethernet to get the internet onto the network. Can it not be installed in-line to one receiver though?

I have tried installing it at my 1st receiver that has the SWM dish power inserter in-line to that receivers sat connection. First I tried the DECA between the SWM PI and LNB splitter and it caused an error in cabling for the receiver. I also tried with the DECA attached between the receiver and the SWM PI and the network wouldn't work this way, no lights on DECA.

So, is there anyway to get the DECA to work without a PI for it, and just in-line with the receiver or perhaps in conjunction with the SWM PI, but that still has to power the dish. Any thoughts? I also have a second cable from the splitter available by the 1st receiver and this is also where my router is located.

Looks like I might just have to purchase the PI for it... The whole reason I got this white DECA with the 2 coax inputs on it instead of the other with only one, is that I hoped to power it with a receiver and not have to use another PI...

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    No, you cannot power it in series like that and you can't power it off the SWM PI powering the dish.

You either need to get one of the black DECAs designed for this or do it the old way of using the 18V PI or the even older way of using another 21V SWM PI.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Matt is right. The white DECA is made such that it needs to be powered by a receiver [that doesn't have DECA internally], or by the 18 volt PI. It also can't pass the DECA signal through it [for inline use].
    This explains what happened to both of your attempts.
    The new wireless CCK has many more options for connection, one of which would work for what you wanted to do.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Where's your router in all of this?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure it really matter when the OP only has HR24s. There will need to be an additional DECA [powered] to bridge to the internet.

6. TimeZone

TimeZone New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I think that answers my questions and is what I was afraid of. Guess I'll just have to get a PI for this one and put it on its own coax line by my router or just get the black one of the newer type that comes with the power supply. Might be about the same price either way..

@veryoldschool Thanks for the further explanation on how it can't be powered by a unit with an internal DECA. It was confusing to me as to why some units in illustrations have the DECA in-line, so I didn't understand why I had to put the DECA on it's own line and couldn't do what I was trying.

I have my router right by one of my receivers. This is also where I have my SWM PI in-line to that receiver. I do have a 2nd coax line run there already, so all I need to do is just get a PI and hook my DECA up on that other line. I had just gotten the white DECA type hoping to not have yet one more thing that had to be plugged into AC power. Guess I chose wrong on that, but oh well. Thanks for the help.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
  8. TimeZone

TimeZone New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Yeah, well I just ordered a new black DECA off Ebay with power supply, and was only $17 with shipping. It was cheaper to get the whole thing than to just get the power inserter for the white DECA, which seemed to be running about $20 alone. Now I have a white DECA I don't need.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Ebay.. :lol: