1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Going on Now - Problems x2

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jim B, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B

Jim B Mentor

Feb 3, 2006
    Hi all ~

Have the installer leaving my house now to go get a new HD DVR because the first one keeps hanging at 25% data download. Even after a forced software download..... Any feedback on the problem? Previously had two R15s, and upgrading just one. Put slimline 5lnb up, used existing runs of cables installed new about 12 months ago, and the signal strengths are good with the meter box. The HR20 has signals in the 80s, but his meter gives in the 90s and my other R15 gives signals in the 90s too. And the other R15 is working fine, just not the new HD DVR? So, that's my first question....

Second question is about the outputs - I'm just not buying the installer's directions.... He says that if I use more than one output that I will "burn the unit up." I was planning on using the HDMI directly to the plasma, and the the S-video to my DVD recorder to have a way to record from sat. He is telling me this can't be done and, again, "I'll burn it up." He even noted that on my R15 this was possible, but not the new HR20????? What gives - is this true? or do I just wait until he leaves and hook it up as planned? What are others out their doing?

Thanks in advance!
    Jim

2. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    No it will NOT burn the unit. I have mine hooked up via HDMI to my tv and s-video to my DVD burner.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes you can use 2 outputs. Mine has been using 2 outputs since I got it. When he hooks up the new unit let the new software download complete and check the signal then.

4. DaveTheWave

DaveTheWave AllStar

Mar 27, 2007
    I have seen posts stating that there is a bug in the HR20 signal meter...

5. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Since December on my HR20 I've used HDMI to my 56" JVC, S-Video to my Sony DVD Recorder & composite to a modulator for CH-3 in the next room. No trouble at all using multiple outputs.

6. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    I also have 2 outputs going out, one HDMI to my TV, and component to my DVD burner

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No the HR20 is fine. It's the H20 receiver that has the signal meter bug.

8. liverpool

liverpool Legend

Jan 29, 2007
    hdmi to projector and composite to dvd recorder been this way since march with no problems

9. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    Nahhhhhhh, you can use all of the outputs, it don't care!!!

10. Jim B

Jim B Mentor

Feb 3, 2006
    UPDATE ~ Installer got new HR20, no problems....

He also didn't understand my question about connecting the DVD burner - thought it was in a series (HR20-HDMI-DVD-HDMI-plasma) and not in parallel (HR20 to plasma via HDMI, then HR20 to DVD burner via svideo).....

I don't think he ever got it, so I let it go, and will install as others have....

Thanks!
    Jim

11. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    You must have a newbie doing your installation. :lol:

12. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Not necessarily.:lol:
    Sounds like pretty standard supposedly "pro" installers answers.
    :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.